Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing as how my heel-toe separated itself from the transmission linkage last night while on an on-ramp to the highway, I'm thinking about making some changes. I was thinking about a new shift rod, and heel-toe setup, I was wondering if there is an aftermarket upgrade that I should be looking at for the front trans. link, the one that connects the heel-toe to the shift rod (see the photo). I've been told what happened to mine is a common issue, and a week spot from the factory. i have a 2013 fltru

Attachments

·
Registered
875 Posts
I could be wrong, but I though the common problem was connectors on the linkage rod itself, have seen several after market items and DIY projects to replace them. Search forum and you'll find what I am talking about.

Good luck on your endeavor. I have been meaning to swap my connectors out before it happens to me.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I could be wrong, but I though the common problem was connectors on the linkage rod itself, have seen several after market items and DIY projects to replace them. Search forum and you'll find what I am talking about.

Good luck on your endeavor. I have been meaning to swap my connectors out before it happens to me.
The real issue is losing the connection at the tranny, between the primary & the transmission. That is a difficult one to check on a regular basis, and when the spline is stripped, the lever comes off, there is no roadside fix. JLydon537 hopefully you had some tools and could get back on the road in short order. Remember, your riding a vibrator, check everything as you wash the bike. Always use Locktite!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thats what every one keeps saying, apparently I'm just the exception not the rule... Lucky me :surprise:

The real issue is losing the connection at the tranny, between the primary & the transmission. That is a difficult one to check on a regular basis, and when the spline is stripped, the lever comes off, there is no roadside fix. JLydon537 hopefully you had some tools and could get back on the road in short order. Remember, your riding a vibrator, check everything as you wash the bike. Always use Locktite!
Had to get towed off the Mass Pike unfortunately.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
My theory is that the heel shifter contributes to this issue. The downforce stomping on it helps strip the splines. I've run with just the toe shifter on 3 different bikes and have been able to avoid this issue. Everyone that I have ridden with that has had this problem used the heel/toe shifters. JMO

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My theory is that the heel shifter contributes to this issue. The downforce stomping on it helps strip the splines. I've run with just the toe shifter on 3 different bikes and have been able to avoid this issue. Everyone that I have ridden with that has had this problem used the heel/toe shifters. JMO

that makes sense, i do love my heel-toe though... oh the dilemas>:)

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
I replaced mine with a Pingel Greasable Shifter Shaft 62142.
I grease it each time I service my Glide.
Have had it on for about 2 years and thousands of miles with no issues.
I found it on Amazon.
Mike U.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I replaced mine with a Pingel Greasable Shifter Shaft 62142.
I grease it each time I service my Glide.
Have had it on for about 2 years and thousands of miles with no issues.
I found it on Amazon.
Mike U.
So having the shaft greaseable would have prevented the lower part of the front link from coming off?

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
JLydon, when I installed the Pingel I also changed out the OEM Linkage and used Heim Joints with the new one.
Now it's much better then stock.
Mike U.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JLydon, when I installed the Pingel I also changed out the OEM Linkage and used Heim Joints with the new one.
Now it's much better then stock.
Mike U.
I get you... I think while its down, im going to put a new rod, with heim joints in and maybe a new shifter (i want to black out a lot of bits on the bike anyways). And I guess I should look into a toe only shifter, but I really do enjoy the heel-toe. Decisions decisions.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Interesting thread. Hadn't realized that this was an issue. I'll have that whole assembly on my radar from now on.

Reactions: JLydon537

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I've checked the shift linkage bolts to make sure everythings tight but not what you guys are talking about, the piece that goes down between the primary and tranny. I'll need to take a closer look at that I think, thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've checked the shift linkage bolts to make sure everythings tight but not what you guys are talking about, the piece that goes down between the primary and tranny. I'll need to take a closer look at that I think, thanks for posting this.
It seems like the weak point is the connection at the top of the of the links with the rod ends.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
I changed my whole shifting linkage out soon after I purchased my 2012 Glide.
I read and heard too many horror stories, of guys getting stranded with no help in sight, to leave the OEM linkage in.
Mike U.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had this happen an unprecedented 5 times on my 2012 Street Glide. Admittedly, the first two times were from me stomping my heel shifter. I can't help it, I'm a gearhead and I bang the gears fast. After the 3rd time and getting everything but the primary shaft replaced, I started shifting like a baby. So soft that I'd miss 2nd. Happened again after less than 5k miles. Had it fixed by the same dealer the 4th time and it did it again in under 200 miles.

I fixed it on the road and then traded it in on my '15 RGS. Haven't touched the heel shifter once on this new bike. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Not sure why Harley has such shallow splines on these. It's garbage. I'm lucky that I wasn't in heavy traffic and got killed.

Deeper splines or maybe even like a grade 8 shaft would be better. Anything.

I was to the point that I wanted to weld it. And it's also the reason I keep a 3/16" allen socket and ratchet and extension in my toolbag.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts