Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I trotted down to my dealer today to look into heated grips, costs, choice of grips, etc etc - The main guy in the Sevc Dept whom I trust 100% says to me when I inquire....."Cool, follow me" and walks outside - WTF? - I open the door and he is standing in a row of bikes that belong to the employees (about 7 bikes of all models and years) and he says "do you see heated grips on any of these bikes?' - Ummm, no? - He then says "Do you see these Dongles on every bike here?' (like the adapter you use to charge your battery) - Ummm, yes? - He then says "Heated Gear Man........soooooooo much better, c'mon, you can try out mine, I wore it in today" - WOW - Amazing - I am now an owner & fan - I swore on Heated Grips before but basically for the same price, you get a jacket liner and gloves that heat your torso and hands - Took a few mins to get use to the thick glove but now.........love it

My riding season just got extended:

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/heated-btc-12v-jacket-liner

&

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/heated-btc-12v-waterproof-gauntlet-gloves

·
Registered
7,184 Posts
Yep, when I lived further north, I used my heated gear most of all winter. When I moved to Florida, I kept my gear just in case I traveled north.

·
Super Moderator
1,814 Posts
So I trotted down to my dealer today to look into heated grips, costs, choice of grips, etc etc - The main guy in the Sevc Dept whom I trust 100% says to me when I inquire....."Cool, follow me" and walks outside - WTF? - I open the door and he is standing in a row of bikes that belong to the employees (about 7 bikes of all models and years) and he says "do you see heated grips on any of these bikes?' - Ummm, no? - He then says "Do you see these Dongles on every bike here?' (like the adapter you use to charge your battery) - Ummm, yes? - He then says "Heated Gear Man........soooooooo much better, c'mon, you can try out mine, I wore it in today" - WOW - Amazing - I am now an owner & fan - I swore on Heated Grips before but basically for the same price, you get a jacket liner and gloves that heat your torso and hands - Took a few mins to get use to the thick glove but now.........love it

My riding season just got extended:

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/heated-btc-12v-jacket-liner

&

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/heated-btc-12v-waterproof-gauntlet-gloves
For the first little while you might want to put a post it note on your fuel tank door "Remember to unplug the heated gear" for whenever you pull in for fuel or have to dismount to warm your toes or berries. Seen the results of some of those that have forgot they were tethered, not a pretty dance amigo, not a pretty dance at all!!

Up here, we don't wear no stinkin' heated gear, no heated grips either, "Layers donkey, Ogers..... have..... layers", that and a natural preponderance to grow thick hollow hairs on all parts of our bodies for insulation.>:)

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the first little while you might want to put a post it note on your fuel tank door "Remember to unplug the heated gear" for whenever you pull in for fuel or have to dismount to warm your toes or berries. Seen the results of some of those that have forgot they were tethered, not a pretty dance amigo, not a pretty dance at all!!
I did think of this and kind of found my own little solution, so to speak - The first thing I do when I come to a stop to dismount is take my gloves off so I can remove my helmet - The Heated Gloves are plugged into the sleeves of the jacket so that will remind me.........but your exact point did cross my mind indeed

I always layered too but now it will be nice to just wear something light over the liner and be toasty warm

·
Registered
302 Posts
12v gloves are a modern miracle!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I always found the backs of my hands get cold, not my palms. So yes I have heated gloves.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I put heated grips on my bikes because they are always there when I want them. I also have heated gloves, heated vest and heated insoles for when I know I will be riding in the 40s or less all day long. I also have heated seat on the Road Glide. Makes a big difference when you are out in it all day long.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Me: "I am an old school Viking, tough role model for the kids, never rely on electronics, the point of riding is to experience the weather..."

(tries heated gear once)

Me: "Adapt or die..."

·
Registered
684 Posts
Me: "I am an old school Viking, tough role model for the kids, never rely on electronics, the point of riding is to experience the weather..."

(tries heated gear once)

That is priceless, and the reason we moved out of caves. The ability to adapt and overcome.

I'm still chuckling over that.

Mike

·
Registered
4,391 Posts

(tries heated gear once)

I remember when some guys stopped by at work and were impressed to see my motorcycle sitting outside and were commenting on how hardcore I was, until they found out I had heat. :laugh: Being Smart trumps toughing it out every day in my book.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I got the Harley heated gear about 7 years ago when it was still made by Gerbing and it's been one of the best purchases I've made. It's almost summertime all year.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

(tries heated gear once)

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA........that is awesome

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gonna give her the real shake down test today - Leaving in a few and it is sub 40 outside - High today of 46......but Sunny.....so I gotta try this shit........feel like a kid on Xmas Morning that just got a cool toy off his Santa List

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
In Michigan, I dont think its worth the investment. Counter intuitive, I know, but here's the thing:

Often its not the cold that keeps me off my bike, its the salt. So very often, when I would use heated gear from a temperature perspective, I still cant ride because there's salt on the road.

So rather than spend the money, and deal with the more complex gear up routine, I just ride when I can and bundle up when I need to.

·
Registered
501 Posts
In Michigan, I dont think its worth the investment. Counter intuitive, I know, but here's the thing:

Often its not the cold that keeps me off my bike, its the salt. So very often, when I would use heated gear from a temperature perspective, I still cant ride because there's salt on the road.

So rather than spend the money, and deal with the more complex gear up routine, I just ride when I can and bundle up when I need to.
I agree, usually when there's cold there's salt out, slimy and does so much damage!

·
Registered
425 Posts
I got my first heated vest spring 2016
Great investment.
I love wearing it in spring and fall.
Some days I'll wear it and not plug it in.
So glad I got it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts