Road Glide banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
An FYI for my fellow Canucks who are thinking or trying to upgrade the tribar light at the bottom of the rear fender.

You all know that the Canadian brake light configuration is different and they actually make HD put the big brake light in the middle of the fender and then deactivate/remove the trilight in the skirt.

I'm under the impression that more and brighter brakes lights is a good thing, so I ordered the Custom Dynamics tribar LED thru Mikwaukeebagger.

First, I wasn't impressed with the whole deal, basically its a piece of sheet metal and a tribar lens siliconed to it with an LED inside. IMHO it looked like it was made in someones garage, and actually it doesn't fit in the slots for the Tribar in the lower fender skirt.

So I started to tinker and came up with a way for it to work.

1. I took apart the light (that was easy since it was just cutting through the silicone, I removed the LED from the CD kit, removed the plug (but keep it you need it once you install in the HD trilight.
2. I uninstalled the tribar light from under my bike and then dismantled it. Do this with caution since you will need to reuse all the pieces.
3. once disassembled, I was able to place the LED from CD into the empty space of the Trilight from the bike. I had to drill a hole in the back of the plastic to screw in the LED so it wouldn't rattle around. There actually is a slot on the side you can route the LED wires thru (3 wires -ground,running and brake).

I then sealed everything back up (yes it takes some silicone to do this as well as the screws, don't forget this is right at your back wheel and will get wet often) and reinstalled the plug onto the LED wires. I then disconnected the other end of the plug from the wirekit that came with the CD LED trilight. I then spliced them into the 3 appropriate wires (I have the 2016 service manual and boy that came in handy finding the proper wires to attach to) on the clutch side wires coming down to connect into the (once empty trilight). INPUT side.

I wish I had thought of taking pictures before I put it all together but I didn't so sorry no pics of how its done.

Like I said, just a word of warning here, it was an expensive way to get an LED bar that would sit in the empty Harley trilight. I literally didn't use anything but the LED, and the LED plug from the CD kit.

Just an FYI here I did call Milwaukeebagger had a good conversation with Nick, I told him I wasn't looking for a refund or anything since I took the light apart. Perhaps the nice people at CD could chat with me (so far no call from them) and come up with a solution/product for us Canucks for the future. I'm betting the 2017 doesn't have a trilight working in Canada either.

And yes thats a Custom Dynamics LED brake light and it's awesome and works well!

Cheers!

D

·
Registered
474 Posts
Just move the the U.S. i think that's easier LOL!
Glad you got it to work. I just installed mine and i love how bright it is.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just move the the U.S. i think that's easier LOL!
Glad you got it to work. I just installed mine and i love how bright it is.
yes I believe your right, moving would have been easier and probably less expensive LOL

lucky you get to ride all year round.

thats the problem up here we have so much time in the winter cuz we're not riding.

D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts