Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. Replaced the factory "Billboard" shield on the 2011 Roadglide with a 13" Windvest. It's an ok shield. I ordered too dark and I was looking slightly through the top edge so maybe a touch too tall ( I'm 5'10" ).
Went with a lot of people's advise on here and ordered a 13" MadStad next ( which is on the bike now ).
Me and the wife just did roughly 500 miles this past weekend and she complained about the wind beating her in the face pretty good. This is with the windshield adjusted all the way up. Tried different angles and she said it was no better.
So....... my question is what's next to try with the Stad? I'm thinking I'm out of options?
Has anyone other than me had the same experience with the passenger complaining while running a Stad? If so what did you do or try next?
Got to keep her happy! She helps pay for gas!!!!>:)

·
Super Moderator
1,814 Posts
Ok. Replaced the factory "Billboard" shield on the 2011 Roadglide with a 13" Windvest. It's an ok shield. I ordered too dark and I was looking slightly through the top edge so maybe a touch too tall ( I'm 5'10" ).
Went with a lot of people's advise on here and ordered a 13" MadStad next ( which is on the bike now ).
Me and the wife just did roughly 500 miles this past weekend and she complained about the wind beating her in the face pretty good. This is with the windshield adjusted all the way up. Tried different angles and she said it was no better.
So....... my question is what's next to try with the Stad? I'm thinking I'm out of options?
Has anyone other than me had the same experience with the passenger complaining while running a Stad? If so what did you do or try next?
Got to keep her happy! She helps pay for gas!!!!>:)
Need a little more information. Is your bike an FLTRX or FLTRU? What type of seat do you have? How much higher up does your wife sit than you? Are you looking thru the Madstad or over it?

Do you have fairing lowers? Have you tried any other windblocking re-directing gadgets such as; Sancho's Wings, Gads wind defelctors?

Answers to these will help diagnose.

I have a 13in dark Madstad on my bike. Adjusted to the highest setting and the wind is approximately 1 hand (horse measurement but easiest way to measure at 75mph)above the top of my full face helmet. I am 6'0", 30" inseam, 265lbs on a Harley Hammock seat. I have aftermarket Hogg Chopps lowers and no other wind deflection devices at this time. I ride 99.9% solo, but when my daughter rides with me, 5'3" she does not get any head buffeting (her field of view is mainly to the side).

Regards,

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FLTRU, Hamock seat and factory lowers. Wife is 5'5". With the shield all the way up I'm looking through it. With it all the way down over it. I'm fine with it set about middle of adjustment. Wife hated it there. Raised all the way up says it's better but still lots of wind hitting her face.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have found that the angle of the shield is my solution for the buffeting. I'm 5'11 and exchanged my 13" for the 14.5 and have been pleased with it. Good luck with getting it dialed in.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Try a set of Sancho wings and HD crash bar wind baffles. It will help with all the dirty air that the windshield don't touch.

·
Registered
463 Posts
How is the wind for you at the various heights and angles? At those heights she should not be getting any more than you are getting. Also, at what speeds? Is it only had high speeds (> 70 mph)?

Since you already have the lowers of an Ultra I doubt the Sancho's Wings would help much but it's a cheap and easy thing to try. Same with the crash bar mounted wings below the tank, although you might already have those.

I find that angle is more critical than height. Sometime it can take a while dial it in. For me I always find that no matter how many times I try different angles, the best is always to mimic the same angle as the base plate. Along with that angle, I have a 13" clear MadStad with the holes drilled 1" higher (so shield sits 1" lower) with the shield all the way down and I do not get any buffeting. I do a get a little wind, but no buffeting, not even at highways speeds. I do Sancho's Wings and the tank blades but no lowers.

My wife does not complain about any wind or buffeting. But then again she never complains about anything anyway. She did say that when I put on the MadStad there was a noticeable improvement with the wind. We also generally do not ride at fast speeds. We much prefer the 50 mph roads to the highways and avoid them as much as possible...

·
Registered
498 Posts
I was 16" madstad and have it about three quarters of the way up most of the time. Perfect for solo riding or backroads with my wife on the back. I'm 6'1" and she's 5'10", stock seat on a 2012 ultra. at that height I'm looking just over the top of it.

I have it adjusted all the way up for long rides with her on the back. We've done 90+ and no complaints from her (finally). With it all the way up I am looking through it, which is a little tough when it gets dark because of the dark tint. When that happens we just slow down and I lower it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I took my Factory ultra shield and marked the bottom with the Madstad. Used a a cut off wheel to cut the shape of bottom. Then laid the madstad shield on the ultra shield , marked the holes and drilled them out. Then mounted the modified ultra shield to the Madstad brackets. The wife said she likes it better. Gets the wind above her helmet. I had the 13 inch dark shield.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
I took my Factory ultra shield and marked the bottom with the Madstad. Used a a cut off wheel to cut the shape of bottom. Then laid the madstad shield on the ultra shield , marked the holes and drilled them out. Then mounted the modified ultra shield to the Madstad brackets. The wife said she likes it better. Gets the wind above her helmet. I had the 13 inch dark shield.
Any pics ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok guys. I'm gonna play with the angles more and see what I can come up with. I'm really hoping to find that magic spot so I don't end up with another one on the shelf.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have found that the angle of the shield is my solution for the buffeting. I'm 5'11 and exchanged my 13" for the 14.5 and have been pleased with it. Good luck with getting it dialed in.
I did the same thing and love the 14.5". Don't just put it on the shelf. If you can't find the right angle, try the larger shield. They will do an exchange. If I remember right, I just had to pay for shipping the 13" back to them. No charge for the new shield and I think they covered shipping on the new one. I have the crash bar deflectors and Sancho's Wings.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I'm 5'11" with a MCC seat lowered about an inch and 14.5" madstad. Wife is 5'7" and loved the improvement. I played w heights & angles and also found best spot foe me just looking over top & angle very close to the angle of the base.

Hope you get it figured out. Good luck!

Ron

·
Registered
852 Posts
5'9" Stock ultra seat. Wife is 5'3". 13" dark smoke. With her I raise the shield about 3/4 of the way up. Set the angle to 59-60 degrees. She is good. Solo on my custom seat that sits me down and back a couple of inches I set it as low as it will go and set the angle to 57 degrees. I also have a 16" clear that we use for long cross-country interstate days at high speed. Neither of us gets any wind with that one. I do have the stock ultra lowers. Get a clinometer app for your phone to set the angle.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Madstad offers the option of drilling the holes in the shield one inch lower so that it effectively makes the shield one inch higher. Before you shelve it you could try doing this yourself. On the dark shield you could plug the existing holes with some black body trim caps and it would hardly be noticeable.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Not trying to sound like a smart ass here, but I'm hoping your wife does know the difference between buffeting and just getting smooth wind across her face??

In my experience with my MadStad I can not put my passenger in a bubble of no air flow, she still gets air across her face but it's smooth and turbulence free, and she's not getting all the buffeting she had before I installed the MadStad. She likes the breeze across her face and still feels like she's on a motorcycle, in the wind, without the all the pounding and buffeting.

I don't actually think the MadStad is supposed to put the passenger in a wind free bubble, but is meant to eliminate the turbulence and buffeting.

If I'm wrong here I'm sure someone will chime in and say that their passenger is in total calm air, but I've never been able to achieve that with my MadStad??

·
Registered
3 Posts
New Freedom Shields Sport Touring for 2015-16 Road Glide

I ordered the 2015-16 Road Glide Touring windshield for my 2016 RG Ultra, Excellent quality, but I wanted something a little more sporty. So I asked John if he had a sportier one. He said "No". I suggested that he might be missing out on a market, he said he had thought of that. I said please let me know when you have one available. He immediately said, "Give me about a week and I'll see what I can come up with" No problem there. True to his word, I got an email in about a week, with a photo of the new Sport model, and all I could say was ship it to me. It arrived, I put it on the bike, leaving the plastic wrap on it so I could send it back if I needed. I went out for a test ride, found a secluded spot, and ran up to 95 mph, radio at about 75% and hearing it loud and clear, and I was enveloped in a ''bubble' area with no wind, or noise. Well of course the wife wanted a test ride too on the back, she loved it, and the plastic wrap came off. Now what other company would make a windshield at your suggestion? Great relationship with Freedom Shields and John Lauk. No, I didn't get the shield for free. Yes, I shopped around but nothing compares to this. I would highly recommend at least trying the shield. You can't go wrong with the sales, and customer service at Freedom Shields

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Couple of things....

The dimensions for the Rushmore bikes are different than for the older bikes. The website says I should have a 14.5" (I'm 6'2", 34" inseam), but I have a 13" and it's plenty high.

As mentioned, angle is everything to the passenger. The farther forward you're leaned the taller the "bubble".

Also - as mentioned - "wind" ain't "buffeting".

1 - 20 of 23 Posts