Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help in removing the front fork cap bolts on my 2008 RG. I have removed the instrument and switch covers and do have the outer faring removed. How do I get access to the top of the bolts? do I need to remove the inner faring? Is there a special wrench / socket required or just an open end wrench? I have searched other posts and have not seen a comment on getting access to the bolts. Thank you for any assistance. - Gary C (hognut)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I used an impact wrench and a 1-3/8" socket. You can probably bust it loose without an impact, but it sure comes in handy.

Cheers. -Jay

·
Registered
318 Posts
I used a 1 3/8 socket ,no impact..with a 4"extenstion to get in there.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Big open end craftsmen wrench

I just had mine off. I did have the gas tank off which gives you more room for the wrench. If you removed the ingnition switch per the manual the forks are locked. Once I had the covers all off I reassembled the ingnition sw. so I could turn the forks. Good Luck! FACE

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
They shouldn't be so tight you need an impact. I also had the tank off - removed them easily with a crescent wrench.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
+1 on the adjustable wrench. We say adjustable down here, I had to google what a crescent was.lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the help. I guess the answer is to remove the gas tank. I did not see in the posts I found a mention of removing the gas tank. I will do some google searches and look on you-tube for a how-to to remove it. I may need some help when it comes time to put it all back together. I already know I messed up removing the ignition and it is out of sync :) - Gary C

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
motion pro makes a nice little socket that works great for that. its really short and very shallow so there is not so much in the way. its a little pricey for $25, but i figure i've saved enough on services that i can give the bike back $25. besides, with 2 glides i the family, i know i'll use it again :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, yeah, but if you got an impact laying there on the bench, how can you resist it? Zinggg...zing.zing...zinggggg!!
I really like the zing...zing way more than removing anything else but with less than 2" clearance above the bolt it would have to be a small wrench :) I cant even get my socket and drive on the nut right now. I can get an open end on but there is no clearance between tank and inside faring to turn it. If you had the clearance to use a socket and impact we have a big difference in the front ends :confused: Thanks for the suggestions as they do make me think about other ways to do it. Gary C

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
motion pro makes a nice little socket that works great for that. its really short and very shallow so there is not so much in the way. its a little pricey for $25, but i figure i've saved enough on services that i can give the bike back $25. besides, with 2 glides i the family, i know i'll use it again :D
Thank you. I will google motion pro and see if there is a local dealer. - Gary C

·
Registered
26 Posts
1 3/8 socket with an extension!!! easy!!! No need to remove tank.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 3/8 socket with an extension!!! easy!!! No need to remove tank.
I must be getting stupid in my old age as I can just barley get a socket on but no clearance to put anything in the socket :confused: :confused: I haven't even been hitting the booze either. Thanks I will go out and look at it some more as I know you are all correct so I must be missing something simple. - Gary C

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Remove the tank ... takes 5 more minutes. ;)

http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=15047

Lots of ways to skin a cat but with the tank out the way, it gives you lots more room for other things (like using the triple clamps as a fork holder while you remove the top plug), and you don't have to worry about pulling on control wires or balancing bars on a towel wrapped gas tank.

My tank was off anyway but even if it wasn't, I still would have pulled it - I didn't have a 1 3/8 socket anyway. lol

·
Registered
713 Posts
hognut try j/p cycles or ebay i think i purchased mine from j/p, the socket is shallow to clear the bars and u dont have to take the bars or tank off. hope this helps good luck

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I really like the zing...zing way more than removing anything else but with less than 2" clearance above the bolt it would have to be a small wrench :) I cant even get my socket and drive on the nut right now. I can get an open end on but there is no clearance between tank and inside faring to turn it. If you had the clearance to use a socket and impact we have a big difference in the front ends :confused: Thanks for the suggestions as they do make me think about other ways to do it. Gary C
Oh yeah, sorry, I assumed you had the bars off. If I had it to do over again though, I'd do it like HD_Shock did and take the tank off. Gives you much more room to maneuver.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Can't get a socket on mine due to handlebar clearence. FACE

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had planed on removing the bars when I was planning on just what needed to be removed etc.. I was told by a few people that with the electronic throttle if the bars were loosened and moved the throttle assembly needed to be re calibrated and that took some test equipment that HD had. I have done a lot of work on the cable throttles but never on the electronic. It didn't make sense that that was correct, but having never worked on the new system decided not to move the bars. I guess from the comments on this post moving the bars is not a problem. I have looked at the post about removing the tank and that doesn't seem like a big deal so may try that later this week. Thank you all for the information and suggestions. Gary C

1 - 20 of 31 Posts