Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just drained fork oil on 13' RGC. Manual calls for 10.7 ounces. I only got about 9.5 oz. out of the right leg and maybe just shy of 11 oz on the left. I was going to put in about 10.5 oz in each leg and call it good unless I should only put back "exactly" what came out ? Seems the left leg was a bit shy of what the manual calls for. I don't think we need to be absolute exact on these do we ? Noticed during the draining that the right leg came out black and dirty looking while the left oil came out red in color? Seems different oil was put in each leg ?

Also, anybody know the drain screw size for the legs ? Forks are chrome so I want to get some nice screws for replacement. Thanks for your help...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Harley has some nice chrome drain screws with sealing washers, come as a set. They weren't too expensive, I think around $10.00 give or take.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Just remember that the amount listed is the amount when dry.
When you drain anything, there is a residual amount left that make the refill amount lower.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Just drained fork oil on 13' RGC. Manual calls for 10.7 ounces. I only got about 9.5 oz. out of the right leg and maybe just shy of 11 oz on the left. I was going to put in about 10.5 oz in each leg and call it good unless I should only put back "exactly" what came out ? Seems the left leg was a bit shy of what the manual calls for. I don't think we need to be absolute exact on these do we ? Noticed during the draining that the right leg came out black and dirty looking while the left oil came out red in color? Seems different oil was put in each leg ?

Also, anybody know the drain screw size for the legs ? Forks are chrome so I want to get some nice screws for replacement. Thanks for your help...
I need to change the fork oil in my '09 and want to know how you are doing this? Are you completely removing the fork tubes as directed in the service manual?

I was thinking about just removing the nacelle to get to the tube bolts and change as I would any other HD I've done this on. Seems to be a big undertaking following the service manual.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Ive heard some say they drained it out the bottom, then made up a fitting to push the new oil back in the drain fittings with a syringe?? Might be worth a try if you can gather up the stuff.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Personally- I remove the forks to drain and change......Road Glide rider hit it when stating the manual lists a "DRY" weight amount of oil.

You may not have gotten equal amounts out due to additional being inside a damper or not all being flushed out correctly-ect.....
I would be sure and put in EQUAL amounts in each leg..... to ensure complete drainage, I pop the drian plugs and compress until nothing else comes out. I then pop the tops and turn the legs upside down for a bit (dinner-erands or even overnight)......Then add back my new oil & re-install. I liked the forks a little stiffer than stock so I used a heavier weight oil ( screaming eagle is heavier weight that the basic & it seemed to produce good result for me)....I also add a tad more.....I went w/ 11oz even..........

I would not be comfortable with draining while on the bike and trying to fill thro the drain plug........yeas it's a bit or work to remove, but it's really NOT that big a deal.......an hour or 2 to do it right is time well spent in my book......

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it done and all is good, although only rode it down to the gas station and back. Very easy procedure for those interested in doing it. I had just done the oil swap in my rear shocks so I wanted the front end to have some better damping with the heavier oil. Looking forward to a better ride with the "cheap" improvements. If anyone needs help with doing these suspension improvements just send me a PM and I'll be glad to help. My previous bike, an 06' SG had progressive rear shocks and SE oil in the front end so the stock set up on my 13' RGC was not cutting it. Terrible suspension from the factory !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts