Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided I should replace my oil in front forks. NOW, hits hard on any bumps that are of any size. Didnt change anything just dropped the oil and refilled.

What the heck did I do wrong. I used specified amount in service manual. Used harley oil, which is what I assume was in it in the first place as the bike only had 6700km on it when I bought it.

·
Administrator
10,497 Posts
You probably used the screaming eagle heavy , which is a heavier weight than what they put in new bikes .. You know the bumps now , but I prefer that over uncontrolled nose diving with the lighter oil .. It'll settle down a bit after some riding ..

JtB

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
If you used the same wt. Oil and not the heavier SE oil , you over filled .The amount that's in the book is the amount to add to dry forks. You never get the oil all out , unless you disassemble the forks. You should have measured what you took out.

·
Registered
852 Posts
If you used the same wt. Oil and not the heavier SE oil , you over filled .The amount that's in the book is the amount to add to dry forks. You never get the oil all out , unless you disassemble the forks. You should have measured what you took out.
This

Get service manual and one of these.
Fork oil leveler.

Follow the procedure in the manual. It does involve pulling the forks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, this was an after thought...doh! I believe it was the same oil. Not completely sure but the previous owner did not do his own wrenching, so I assume it was done by the shop who would have used the same oil they sold me....not SE just regular harley type Eoil.

RG Dave, I have the service manual, and just ordered the fork oil tool. Probably gonna do thru the procedure, and do it right. Thanks!!

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
If it is required to remove the forks from the bike then spend the extra money and buy monotubes and get rid of all the stock garbage

1 - 8 of 8 Posts