Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am changing the fork oil on my 2012 rg custom. I weigh 175 # ride solo . any input 5,10,15 or 20 weigh????????

·
Registered
8,787 Posts
If your only doing oil , I'd go with the S.E. fork oil Heavy. Not sure what wt. It is. It will help with the fork dive.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
If your only doing oil , I'd go with the S.E. fork oil Heavy. Not sure what wt. It is. It will help with the fork dive.
i like the heavy myself. a lot of folks think that it is too stiff. they are happy with a 50/50 mix of se heavy and stock (type e).

·
Registered
8,787 Posts
What kind of a job is it to change out the fork oil to a heavier oil (DIY or dealership) ?? Thanks.
You might need to use a little heat on the drain screw to loosen it if it was never removed before. They're put in with loc- tight.
Also measure what you remove, and replace with the same amount.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Heavier Fork Oil

You can, as an alternative: remove the HD oil and clean your forks spotless (as per instructional video I made on my site). Use good fork oil (around 7.5W) and change/increasing or decreasing the fork oil level 10mm at a time until you find what you are comfortable with. I suggest when you have your forks apart to toss that HD spring and replace with a set of properly matched (to your application) aftermarket springs. That is all up to you.

By changing the oil level you are partially controlling the compression especially at or near bottom out. This is not a real substation for good suspension such as a cartridge system (I am not talking about Monotubes or such but real suspension) but for little money (fork oil change) or add around $110~$120 for springs, it will improve your ride. Putting heavier oil in your forks means that your fork will respond slower which means your fork performance is decreased.

This is a graph generated from a shock dyno utilizing the same 30mm Ohlins cartridge with the same settings and only changing the fork oil level.

·
Registered
8,787 Posts
You can, as an alternative: remove the HD oil and clean your forks spotless (as per instructional video I made on my site). Use good fork oil (around 7.5W) and change/increasing or decreasing the fork oil level 10mm at a time until you find what you are comfortable with. I suggest when you have your forks apart to toss that HD spring and replace with a set of properly matched (to your application) aftermarket springs. That is all up to you.

By changing the oil level you are partially controlling the compression especially at or near bottom out. This is not a real substation for good suspension such as a cartridge system (I am not talking about Monotubes or such but real suspension) but for little money (fork oil change) or add around $110~$120 for springs, it will improve your ride. Putting heavier oil in your forks means that your fork will respond slower which means your fork performance is decreased.

This is a graph generated from a shock dyno utilizing the same 30mm Ohlins cartridge with the same settings and only changing the fork oil level.

Thanks for the chart Howard. How about explaining how to read the chart in dummy terms for those of us , I mean them :D that don't understand what a Shock Dyno represents.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Curious about the chart as well . My Ohlins directions say to put in approx 300ml or 80 mm from the top, how is this represented on the chàrt or not?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts