Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, i got my shop manual and my parts back from the powdercoat guy and im gonna attempt to switch out my fork lowers and the top cans. Anybody done this job before that can point out any possible issues that might come up? Also, what weight for oil do folks out there reccomend? I know my mechanic (who i can no longer afford) put heavier weight in there when he did my 1000 mile service, but i cant remember what he put in it(AMS oil i believe). I did however Loooooove the stiffer and more responsive front end..

any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
809 Posts
The only issue i can think of is to make sure you get the seals seated properly without a nic (sp) in them. Also make sure you get the bolt that holds the dampner torqed right. As for the fork oil, use some SE heavy wt oil and that will stiffen the ride back up.

·
Registered
335 Posts
When I did the forks on my RK I used the Screamin Eagle Oil, tightened them up nicely and got rid of a lot of the dive on braking, it does make for a stiffer ride if thats what your looking for, worked out well for me.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Just put in the Progressivew Monotubes and you never have to change your fork oil again. WHY do all this work doing upgrades and stop short of doing a complete upgrade!!

·
Registered
713 Posts
I just finished the same install, would recommend watching a couple videos on you tube i found them very helpful. I also purchase a shallow socket for the top nut on the forks so you wouldnt have to remove your handlebars i think it is a 1/3-8 socket, i purchased mine from j and p cyles and a special socket for the fork cap a jims socket off ebay, i found them very helpful. I also opted for the screaming eagle heavy oil also as recommend by so many. A service manual is also need for torque specs and to reference when you have questions. The install is not that bad if you take your time. Hope this helpful.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
The only issue i can think of is to make sure you get the seals seated properly without a nic (sp) in them. Also make sure you get the bolt that holds the dampner torqed right. As for the fork oil, use some SE heavy wt oil and that will stiffen the ride back up.

I watched an hd mechanic install these bolts. He just ran them in with an impact while in the vise.

Sent using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts