Road Glide banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm wrapping up my build tomorrow and while mocking the front fender up today I noticed what without the wheel and axle on my forks can both rotate clockwise and counter clockwise. The bolts up top are secure and I tightened the pinch bolts just above the fork cans. Is it normal for the lower forks to have some play in them if you try to rotate one way or the other? Obviously one the fender is on and the queen and axle they don't spin. I just want to verify that this is normal before I take my maiden voyage tomorrow. Also, I used 1/4 rope taped to the tire to establish the clearance between tire and fender when mocking up as per yaffes directions for the fender. Now that the fender is on and rope is off I notice the clearance in the front of the fender has lessened. Is this going to cause problems? I have less than a quarter inch space now in the front but more towards the top and rear.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Yes they can rotate. Use your axle to get them squared up, then take it back off. Then you can go ahead with putting fender back on, etc.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I was having a helluva time! Everytime I took off the axle and went to put te tire on the damn things would rotate out! Finally got it all done now I'm worried my fender ended up too close to the tire. If I have to bore out the holes I drilled I'm afraid the may show above the mounting points onthe fork

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
You could just leave the axle on and put your fender on, then take it off.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could just leave the axle on and put your fender on, then take it off.
That's ultimately what I ended up doing. I take can the easiest jobs and make them quests!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts