Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for alternatives to the $$$$$ JIMS fork leg and tube holder tool. Any one use something else or make their own, I'm open to suggestions and any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
I think he's looking to put the fork tubes in a vise maybe? There is a special tool to grip the fork tubes in a vise so they don't get damaged but like Mr glide69 said, I didn't use anything special either

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
I ended up flipping the fork upside down . Put the socket in the vice and turn the tube with a chain wrench ,with rubber mat under the chain wrapped around the tube.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wasnt sure if I would need one was just looking for some other options than the JiIMS fork holder which is quite pricey. It clamps in a vice then the fork tube slides through and gets clamped down in the holder. It's not a have to have just something that is a nice to have and makes working on fork tubes a little easier. I was just wondering if anyone else had seen other options

Here is what the fork holder from JIMS looks like

Attachments

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I leave my forks in the trees and life the bike on my Sears Yellow jack. Leaving the fprks pinched in the clamps makes removing the hex nuts at the bottom much easier. I remove the uppers after I separate the sliders. I installed my Monotubes without removing the uppers.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I leave my forks in the trees and life the bike on my Sears Yellow jack. Leaving the fprks pinched in the clamps makes removing the hex nuts at the bottom much easier. I remove the uppers after I separate the sliders. I installed my Monotubes without removing the uppers.
Interesting never thought about it in reverse like that. One question, how did you do the new slider seals? I am guessing you installed them before sliding on the the lowers, but did that make it a little tricky without causing damage to the seals?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Interesting never thought about it in reverse like that. One question, how did you do the new slider seals? I am guessing you installed them before sliding on the the lowers, but did that make it a little tricky without causing damage to the seals?
Exactly as you described with patience and caution. I always did my dirt bikes the same way, so I figured I'd try it on Hester.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Exactly. Your bike's got built in fork tube holders. :)

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
I made a very simple fork seal installer tool. I used a long piece of 1 1/2 pvc pipe that I cut length wise. De-bur the plastic pipe and it fits snuggly around the fork tube. Cost me about $3 for the pvc at home depot

·
Registered
253 Posts
Use a set of soft jaws for your vice. If your vise has a pipe clamp, then just fold some rags around the fork tube and use that.
Ive had issues with the tube sliding in the vise like that personally. I have had good luck with using a battery impact gun. I did it on my 15 and my wifes 03 and her 95 Fatboy. an impact gun eliminates the need to really clamp down on that tube. There is a socket available for the top nut on the older style tubes which I will try to find the info on. The newer (14-15) tubes require a 19 MM allen for the top and a 12MM allen for the bottom bolt.

Good luck.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I used 2 2x4"s with a v notch cut out of them and carriage bolts to clamp down on the fork tube. I wrapped the fork tube with a rubber inner tube to protect it and keep it from slipping.

I know it sounds ghetto but it worked really well for me and didn't cost anything.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I made a very simple fork seal installer tool. I used a long piece of 1 1/2 pvc pipe that I cut length wise. De-bur the plastic pipe and it fits snuggly around the fork tube. Cost me about $3 for the pvc at home depot
"Ive had issues with the tube sliding in the vise like that personally. I have had good luck with using a battery impact gun. I did it on my 15 and my wifes 03 and her 95 Fatboy. an impact gun eliminates the need to really clamp down on that tube. There is a socket available for the top nut on the older style tubes which I will try to find the info on. The newer (14-15) tubes require a 19 MM allen for the top and a 12MM allen for the bottom bolt."

Thanks for help and suggestions, I already made the seal installer and like you said it was under $3. I also have the special fork cap socket and the fork tube socket so I'm good there. Just waiting for the monotubes to get here tomorrow. I'll update how it goes with a couple pics too. This is why I love this forum lots of good ideas and different ways to get the job done.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I made this at work,after machining including drilled and tapped holes i bored a 41 mm hole then split so it would clamp on the tubes i made it long enough so i could clamp it in my bench vice.

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's very cool. I was contemplating making my own since I have a couple friends bikes I am going end up doing as well. Having the right tools always makes the job a little easier

·
Registered
218 Posts
I used 2 2x4"s with a v notch cut out of them and carriage bolts to clamp down on the fork tube. I wrapped the fork tube with a rubber inner tube to protect it and keep it from slipping.

I know it sounds ghetto but it worked really well for me and didn't cost anything.
This is pretty much what i was thinkin, plan to rebuild my forks this winter and thought why the heck not use wood v-blocks, lots of companies sell tools and if ya stare at em for a bit and use some imagination, you can make most of them at home. Allthough, tearing em down while still on the bike seems like it would work just as well. Off subject but, recently bolted clutch plates to a peice of flat bar steel to hold the clutch hub on my Ironhead so i could remove its large retainer nut.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
That's very cool. I was contemplating making my own since I have a couple friends bikes I am going end up doing as well. Having the right tools always makes the job a little easier
Being a tool and die maker does come in handy some times,i have made lots of my own specialty tools rather than buy them.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok got it done, was pretty straight forward mod. Didn't need any fork tube holder, would have made it a little easier of should I say more convenient but, definitely didn't need one

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts