Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading a lot of positives about the new progressive monotube fork kits. I get that its newer technology, "big improvemnt," etc, etc. My question is that i put pogressive fork springs on my previous harley tourer and i thought the improvement was exceptional.

Not penny pinching, but from guys that have used both, what are youre thoughts? Im almost leaning toward the old spring with oil bath over the monotubes for one reason...springs dont break! Less potential for a headache down the road. Just change the fork oil once in a while, and keep rolling. Unless the improvement is that much better...

Would appreciate some honest feedback!

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Anything can break.
Monotubes = no fork oil maintenance.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
I went from the stock HD springs to the monotube and there is a big difference in handling IMO. One of the biggest selling point on the monotube system is there is no need to do fork oil changes. Even if you go to a progressive spring kit you should get a improved ride over stock.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Reading a lot of positives about the new progressive monotube fork kits. I get that its newer technology, "big improvemnt," etc, etc. My question is that i put pogressive fork springs on my previous harley tourer and i thought the improvement was exceptional.

Not penny pinching, but from guys that have used both, what are youre thoughts? Im almost leaning toward the old spring with oil bath over the monotubes for one reason...springs dont break! Less potential for a headache down the road. Just change the fork oil once in a while, and keep rolling. Unless the improvement is that much better...

Would appreciate some honest feedback!
Cartridge style fork internals have been around for a long time....just not in H-D forks!:) I wouldn't(and don't) sweat the risk of breakage. I really like my mono tubes, but sure wish that an adjustable system was out there. It looks like Howard at Motorcycle Metal will be offering an Ohlins cartridge insert, and I'll bet it will be adjustable. Would be nice to be able to set the front and rear for solo vs 2 up. I'll still take the P-S Monotube over an old damper tube fork any day.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I've had both, the Monotubes are better.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Only have about 700 miles on my monotubes, but already like them better than the stock setup... especially in curves.

·
Registered
325 Posts
We put monotubes in a friends Road King,It made a huge improvment in handling and ride quality..

·
Registered
614 Posts
Ive done both springs and then monotubes on my Fatboy and now went right to monotubes on the Glide.

The Progressive Springs with a heaver oil is an improvement but the Monotubes are a better solution IMO.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks fellas. I just been doing homework and keep seeing stories about the nitrogen in the shocks leaking. Apparently is was a fairly common problem with the first generation of these. And thats kinda made me a little gunshy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts