Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Set my idle to 900rpm from 950. Sounds much more like a Harley, accelerates and runs good. Does anyone have their bike set to 850 or so. I know when the M8 came out 850 was the setting.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Can you elaborate on the specifics of your theory or is this just something you hear during a convesation somewhere?
Carb bikes have far fewer electrical components to provide power to so they can idle lower and still allow the charging system to keep up. It is true that when the M8 first came out it had a lower idle but there was an updated MAP that soon came out to raise the idle a bit. Never heard what the real reason was but most likely due to charging output. If I wanted to lower my idle I would do research and testing to make sure I knew how low I could go safely and not just arbitrarily change it just because I think it sounds cooler. No problem doing mods or adjustments to the bike as long as you know what the real results will be.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
In addition to the charging system............

How about low oil pressure concerns? I don't know one way or another, just asking.
Since these engines aren't really about pressure and are more about flow it's probably not a big enough issue at idle once the bike is warmed up. I wouldn't want my cold temp rpm setting too low. You set the idle rpms in different ranges based on engine temperature so a cold bike will idle higher until it reaches a certain temp and then steps down as it gets warmer. I know some guys that have set their hot idle at the upper temps set down around 850rpms but the oil is already flowing good at that point so it shouldn't be an issue. Going back to the electrical part though, they would need to know if the charging output is greater than the electrical draw at that rpm. I would say probably on most bikes unless you've added a lot of lights and/or amps and speakers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts