Road Glide banner

FP3 Throttle Progressivity

26K views 37 replies 22 participants last post by  DGLIDE20 
#1 ·
For all of you FP3 users, I'm interested to hear what throttle progressivity setting you are using or have used. I haven't messed with mine just yet, but am curious to hear everyone's thoughts. Does it wake the bike up?

Thanks,

Jim

#5 ·
I've tried all the settings. Race and Aggressive both made the throttle too sensitive and twitchy for my taste on a touring bike. Standard Plus is where I landed and have been happy with that for a couple years now. Huge improvement over the standard or OEM throttle response without being overly sensitive to abrupt inputs on the throttle grip.

#4 ·
I've tried them all. The racing mode was fun, but burned a lot of gas. The Standard + is where I'm at now and that is a good combo.

#7 ·
Funny story about the Race setting. I was at the V&H booth in Daytona a few years back, and was talking to one of the techs about all the FP3 settings. I told him i was going to try the Race setting on the throttle.
He told me to hold off on trying it until the new udpate came out. When I asked why, he said some of the firmware versions on the early ones had an issue with the Race setting.
Basically, if you had it set to Race, and cranked to WOT, the plastic gear in the throttle body could strip out from opening so fast. He told me not to ask how they found this out. :smile:
The issue has been long fixed, and I don't know anybody it happened to, but needless to say I waited a while before trying it.

#13 ·
You should probably ask V&H about that one. The first time you hooked up the FP3 it copied your stock tune and saved it to the V&H servers, so that "default" map is already saved. I don't know if you can load and save a 3rd party tuned map and then edit it to reflash the ECM.

Considering that you paid good money for a pro-tune, I'd definitely confirm with V&H and if they say it's possible get detailed instructions on how to do it.

#16 · (Edited)
I just now flashed the moderate setting, thought I’d start in the middle

I’ve had this FP-3 for 2-1/2 years and I’m just now getting around In finding this out

WTF

Just did a 10 mile loop

Wow

Impressive with full exhaust

Air Cleaner & Cams

Thanks Gents

Great info

I just filled my tank

Now let’s see how the mileage is effected

I don’t mind filling up more, lol

Swomack

#24 ·
Road to work this morning, taking the freeway and I really opened it up.

It's like a totally different bike.

The moderate setting is working out perfect for me for sure.

This little FP-3 unit is the best thing going.

Hell I haven't even done a new auto-tune yet and the bike seems to be running great.

I will have to do a new auto-tune soon to see if it gets even better.

So Far A Very Happy Camper.

Swomack

#23 ·
I posed a similar question to Chris Neely @ V&H yesterday. I did something out of the ordinary on my new 2018 by having the dealer install the SE high flow intake, Rinehart Slimline duals and Rinehart 4" classic mufflers. This is normally something I'd do myself, but this is the most money I've ever spent on a MC and didn't want any issues with warranty support after the sale. After installing the gear the dealer flashed a PV canned map and I only paid for the license and labor (didn't actually buy a PV). I only got to ride the bike around town for a couple of days before we left for Colorado. All seemed well. Bike has plenty of power, starts without issue, no decel popping, accelerates and cruises without any hesitation, flat spots or other weirdness. I haven't pulled the plugs to look at the burn, but I assume everything is pretty close.

However, my cruising MPG on our Denver trip was pretty bad. Now, the bike was definitely loaded down with a couple hundred extra pounds of gear and a passenger, and we made a lot of the trip running 80+ MPH, but my fuel mileage dropped as low as 33 MPG some parts of the trip and the best I ever saw was 43 on one leg. My average for the whole trip was right at 36 MPG. The other two 2018s that made the trip (albeit one up only) averaged well into the upper 40s and even low 50s once. Both of those bikes are mostly stock except for the Rinehart 4" mufflers.

I was ready to trade off a little fuel mileage for the minor performance upgrades, but man sure seems like a lot to me. Plus I miss the throttle response setting available on the FP3 (which I had on my 2015).

I was hoping to pick up an FP3, save my currently flashed tune, and then try a couple of the V&H maps and do an auto-tune to see if I could recoup any of my cruising fuel mileage. I was afraid that having the "non OEM stock tune" already flashed to the ECM might cause a collision of sorts between that and the FP3. Still awaiting a response from Chris.

#26 ·
Typically I run 2 up and on trips, loaded. my '16 RGU has the HD high flow air cleaner, Crusher skip ons and the FP3. Started with the canned map and auto tuned it, some other little tweaks (throttle and others). Average about 38 at Interstate speeds, slow a little 65 and get 40-42. Might be the canned tune isn't the best. Hope you get a response from VH

#29 ·
On my 2016 CVO Street Glide I set it to Moderate and it was excellent! I have not changed my '19s calibrations yet because of warranty concerns but when the warranty is over you can bet I will FP3 it!

#30 ·
Resurrecting this thread because of the following question..... I have followed the instructions to the letter and when I go into the Air & Fuel section under View/Edit Map I do NOT have any throttle progressivity setting or option at all. I've searched everywhere and I cannot find it or see it. Is it possible, since this thread was started a long time ago, that V&H has removed this function in a recent update? Or am I missing something?

#33 ·
Update: In demo mode, if instead of selecting 2020 Touring from the bike i select a different bike type, say 2020 CVO touring, then bam... the throttle progressivity option is right where it’s supposed to be. I then start over again and choose just 2020 touring, and the option is once again gone. SO, when connecting to my bike via Bluetooth and pairing with my VIN, the FP3 knows automatically based on the VIN that it’s a 2020 touring model.... and the throttle progressivity option is once again missing. Sounds like a call to V&H is in order.

#34 ·
You should not be in Demo mode. Demo mode would not have that functionality.

Once you connect via Bluetooth, you go into the app that way. Then go to map optimization. A screen with a large circle that you spin around.

Download the full manual. It explains more than that small book that comes with it.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

#35 ·
Demo mode is like practice mode when not connected to the bike.

Here is the response i just got from V&H directly:

Throttle Progressivity is not offered as a configurable table on 2020 Touring models, as this can disable the RDRS safety system. The fact that it shows up in Demo Mode is a bug, and I'll inform my app developers of the issue. You're not missing much as the OEM throttle settings are almost 1:1 with a steep curve from the factory.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.