Road Glide banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2020 RGS, runs great out the gate.
552 Posts
fortunately or maybe lucky, i had ample power on the King, my buddy that i got it from, did the 6 speed and 95 kit on it, an 02, i am little dude. i would just throttle out the wobble...slowing my roll tho anymore, enjoying the ride and views, no more riding like i stole it... :p

·
Registered
137 Posts
A bit of a double post here as I asked this question in the suspension subforum, but I just ordered the alloy art stabilizer which should be delivered tomorrow, and I am planning on installing it quick-like tomorrow evening. Question though - does one merely install it while the bike is on the side stand, or should the bike be on the lift to center the engine in the isolators? The engine does lean to one side slightly when on it's on the stand as I found out when trying to reconnect the front engine support bar that connects the front jug to the A-frame after my rebuild two winters ago - fought and fought it trying to line up the bolts, found that everything centers up when the bike is on the lift.....it's not off center by much, but enough that I couldn't start the bolt - put it on the lift and viola, lined right up. So, I was thinking that if you're adding a stabilizer, that you'd want everything centered as much as possible?

·
Registered
416 Posts
I ran the Alloy Art stabilizer shown above on my 2013 until...I put on a Bassani two into one pipe which forced me to take it off as the rear head pipe is equal length to the front not allowing this piece to fit anymore. I noticed quite a difference with this as there was a distinct lack of rear steer which I had never really noticed prior to installing this. Had I not changed exhaust systems it would still be on the motorcycle. Was it worth it? Absolutely for me. I was say that how you ride has a lot to do with it. If you merely cruise at the speed limit it may not produce the results you desire although I still think a difference will be felt.

I need one for my 2019 as I am yet to put on a full exhaust and since this thread popper up it reminds me not to get that brand pipe again. Get it, install and it enjoy. I've never used a progressive version but the alloy art install was pretty simple. Getting the right side bolt inside the frame was the hardest part. Total time I'd say 20 minutes.

·
Registered
898 Posts
High chassis loads do not necessarily require high speeds. If one is given to low speed shenanigans, or just running errands in town the added stability afforded by the Alloy Art stabilizer is quite noticeable when whipping around corners in parking lots or neighborhoods. The bike responds immediately, instead of hesitating vaguely as the wheels try to find the same direction when stuffed into a tight turn quickly.

I never liked the idea of something hanging under the bike, as I reserve the right to go off-road a bit if the mood strikes me or the situation requires it - I just don't want to be dragging branches with me in the process..

·
Registered
7,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
High chassis loads do not necessarily require high speeds. If one is given to low speed shenanigans, or just running errands in town the added stability afforded by the Alloy Art stabilizer is quite noticeable when whipping around corners in parking lots or neighborhoods. The bike responds immediately, instead of hesitating vaguely as the wheels try to find the same direction when stuffed into a tight turn quickly.

I never liked the idea of something hanging under the bike, as I reserve the right to go off-road a bit if the mood strikes me or the situation requires it - I just don't want to be dragging branches with me in the process..
Nothing is below the frame when you use the progressive stabilizer. Ground clearance is not affected at all. The only real downfall with the progressive stabilizer is you can't use it with a cross under exhaust system as the cross under pipe clamp that's bolted to the back side of the trans case has to be removed. Not a problem for me though as I run a 2into1 exhaust anyway.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Nothing is below the frame when you use the progressive stabilizer. Ground clearance is not affected at all. The only real downfall with the progressive stabilizer is you can't use it with a cross under exhaust system as the cross under pipe clamp that's bolted to the back side of the trans case has to be removed. Not a problem for me though as I run a 2into1 exhaust anyway.
Ditto with the True Track. I had to monkey around with the bracket for the full-sized crossover on the pipe, but that was it.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The alloy art is the simplest install to me of all of these. Had a buddy with the true track, he rides hard and never had an issue. I run true track on my Dyna and it poses no issues either, but on that motorcycle it is different as there is a front and rear, and it is far more noticeable.

Most people whom ride baggers don't tend to push their motorcycles, but those that do and upgrade suspension and other performance aspects of the motorcycles will definitely notice the difference with this type of mod. I'm not sure if it has been gone into above. The link will stiffen the link between the engine and swingarm as when the engine gets revving in the higher RPM ranges it has a tendency to move the swing arm side to side which in turn causes a wobble of the rear end of the motorcycle.

The 09+ bagger frames are far better than the 08 and earlier, however it is still one of the downfalls of Harley's design with separate transmissions and the swing arm mounted to the transmission which is attached to the rear of the motor. As the motor revs higher it tends to move side to side in the frame which in turn moves the trans side to side which the swing arm is connected to and in turn moves side to side. The goal of these rear stabilizers is to keep the lateral movement form being as pronounced at high engine rev.

Like I said I have true track on my Dyna (Dyna wobbles are as pronounced as high speed wobbles or 2008 and earlier baggers) and it makes a huge difference. I ran the Alloy art until i put on Bassani exhaust which was in teh way of the Alloy art link. The Alloy art link was noticeable to me as soon as I gave the bike some gas on the freeway. A more planted and solid feeling from the rear end (not that it didn't feel planted prior to that) (bike was a 2013 so the newer frame) that was far more stable and comfortable to ride. The reasonable cost and simple install of the Alloy art was what sold me on it. It took me 20 minutes to install in my (back then carport at my apartment).

I prefer the simplicity of the Alloy Art version. I'm not a fan of Progressive branded products. I also like True Track for the dyna as I have had them on both of the Dyna's I have owned, although there are a few other brands people claim are better.

I think the main thing to consider with these type of mods is how you ride. If you only cruise and don't ride fast canyons fast, you probably won't benefit as much as you would if you prefer to push your bike to and past it's limits. That is where these mods are the most noticeable. Not to say they are not noticeable otherwise, however the faster you ride and the more you take high speed sweepers, tight canyons, etc the more they shine.

My 2019 does not have any of this as of yet as I am yet to decide on a new exhaust system and such for it and I will wait until after I choose that to see what can be done for stabilization. Another point...if you have an older bike with factory Harley air shocks, I think you will notice less of it as the shocks are so subpar taht the ride is so bad that the air shocks may soak up the feeback, but this is just a guess.

Upgrade shocks first.

·
Registered
2020 RGS, runs great out the gate.
552 Posts
Question, how does the motor move "side to side" when giving it throttle? It's a linear V-twin as it relates to it's mounting position, if anything wouldn't the motor "push" to front of the bike as the rotation is that way, if not mistaken? If the motor was mounted where each cylinder "out each side" with intake towards front and exhaust out the rear, then your engine would "move" side to side, no?

·
Registered
2019 RGU. Midnight blue/silver. “MARLIN”
958 Posts
I would guess that the belt tugging at the trans on the left side might do it. I've felt it on every hd I’ve owned. It’s gotten better but it’s still there.
Question, how does the motor move "side to side" when giving it throttle? It's a linear V-twin as it relates to it's mounting position, if anything wouldn't the motor "push" to front of the bike as the rotation is that way, if not mistaken? If the motor was mounted where each cylinder "out each side" with intake towards front and exhaust out the rear, then your engine would "move" side to side, no?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
It's the slight offset between the rods, the goofy timing (405 and 315 degrees) that creates the "Harley sound", and torque. I got the TT front mount as well, and my bike's a completely different beast than stock on a winding road.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey guys - I'm a bit confused as to how the exhaust crossover is in the way of this device. Is this the same thing you are talking about? It says it connects to the starter and plate behind the trans. It says 09-16 but in the description is claims to fit my 17. Tia.

Alloy Art Touring Frame Stabilizer for Harley Touring 09-16

·
Registered
7,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

·
Registered
2019 RGS FullSac Mx, Trask air assault, Magnaflow Hitmans!!!, Legrnds suspension, Thundermax tuner
8 Posts
I just got my hands on the new alloy art one for my 2019 so I’ll know in a few days after I test her out
Just installed the alloy art stabilizer on my 2019. Install was easy. Have not gone on a good ride yet to test out.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
the alloy art stabilizer doesnt. its the progressive one and possibly the tru track one that do.
The True Track doesn't get in the way of the crossover, but it does pose a problem for the support that mounts to the back of the transmission. The FM full-size crossover fits, and the mount fits, but there's not enough room to run the bolt through it. At some point I'll weld a bolt to it, but it's fine for now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to jump in here, but in another post/thread, '05Train, you seem to be one of the few people that used both the DX and the TrueTrack set up. I just tried to do the same, and found out about the crossover pipe bracket/clamp needing the same spot as the TT. If you don't mind, how did you install the exhaust bracket in order to clamp down the crossover? I contacted Fullsac, and Steve said it has to be there to avoid a possible failure of the exhaust, which I assume is due to heat/vibration at a weld...??? Thanks for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Sorry to jump in here, but in another post/thread, '05Train, you seem to be one of the few people that used both the DX and the TrueTrack set up. I just tried to do the same, and found out about the crossover pipe bracket/clamp needing the same spot as the TT. If you don't mind, how did you install the exhaust bracket in order to clamp down the crossover? I contacted Fullsac, and Steve said it has to be there to avoid a possible failure of the exhaust, which I assume is due to heat/vibration at a weld...??? Thanks for any help you can offer.
Fullsac has changed their transmission mount on the DX pipe. I had the older style, which was a nut welded onto the crossover, with a flat piece of metal bolted to it and the back of the transmission. It snapped in half a month or so after I installed the pipe, and I ran without the support for about 4 years. Never had an issue with it. I know the new-style support is completely different, and there's no way I can see how that'd work with the TT. Short of fabricating something, you could get a length of perforated metal strapping, wrap it around the crossover, and bolt it onto the transmission.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fullsac has changed their transmission mount on the DX pipe. I had the older style, which was a nut welded onto the crossover, with a flat piece of metal bolted to it and the back of the transmission. It snapped in half a month or so after I installed the pipe, and I ran without the support for about 4 years. Never had an issue with it. I know the new-style support is completely different, and there's no way I can see how that'd work with the TT. Short of fabricating something, you could get a length of perforated metal strapping, wrap it around the crossover, and bolt it onto the transmission.
Yes, I see what you mean about the mounts being different. Fabricating some type of other support is the only option it appears. Ron from TT mentioned using the stock trans mount with a strap or clamp as well, but I think a metal support bolted to it and running out towards the left side will offer more of the designed support from fullsac. To the drawing board..lol

21 - 38 of 38 Posts