Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Did the foam make your base deeper? I was thinking about the same thing but using some polyesther fiber which is mildew and flame resistant. I used it in some home speaker builds and it worked well. Did you do the foam and the sound deadning covering at the same time ?

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did the sound barrier a while back, it helped some but there still was a ton of mudd... and razor tones. too much treble, no bass.

this tightened up the bass quite a bit, nothing to write home about, but noticable and 'there' it may be all three working together.

It gained me 2-3 radio volume clicks. instead of half, now like 6-7 range.

doing 6.5's soon, then a second set, then an amp.

but it's good to feel like you have a clean sound floor to start with, or at least kind understand where the sound is bouncing.

worth the 45 cents to try.

·
Registered
588 Posts
You running speakers facing forks (behind the fairing compartments)?

Where did you get the foam cups and are they for 5.25 or 6.5"?
They make them in 6.5 and 5.25. any online car audio place will have them. I have heard alot of bad stuff about them, and a few good things. I persoannly dont think they give the woofer cone enough air space to move freely, but than again most people are not running huge amounts of RMS to really tell a difference. I think if you run the Arc, J&M, or ELF with 125 watts + per cahnnel then yes those foam cups can be bad news for sound quality. Just my opinion thought. They are cheap, a few bucks for a pair. Try them for yourself and see if you like them.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd say yes, maybe yes, maybe no on the foam cups

altogether, I'm getting more out of screwing around with deadening up that free air space then anything else.

the cups, bought them at crutchfield for about $5-8, they have most sizes

very inexpensive

not yet on the inner facing speakers, on the short list

as soon as I know the parts I have will all fit.

planning on taking 2 sets of 4 ohm speakers and then wiring them to 2ohms.

·
Registered
17 Posts
well once you put an amp on your speakers your going to loss all bass. speakers will not have enough air to travel. just get some good 5 1/4 or 6.5 with a nice amp and your be much happier. aftermarket radio would be nice too

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
essentially, I got the idea from practical applications I've seen in the recording studio, putting up random sonex panels to kill 'bass traps'

you don't have to sound deaden everywhere, just 'tune' the traps, by realizing where the negative or overwhelming bass collects or gains momentum then either absorbing or deflecting/defusing it. it could be mid wall, to fix a corner issue 25 feet away. guys will pair off, one listens and one inches the trap down the wall.

on our roadies, that area seems that the behind the glove box area.

yes, amp, amp, amp.

the cones will probably go away, since the foam does a better job.

on the fence, possibly invest in some vented lowers to run the second set of speakers.

once the inner fairing speakers are in, expansion options would quickly turn to a 8 speaker system.

looking forward to getting in there with 8 hours and 'playing'

we'll just see, maybe the $500 for the vented lowers, worth it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Although it will add some low end you will also end up blowing the speakers as there is no air for them which will make the woofer have too much excursion. the baffles up on the factory locations should be fine but the speakers on the side will be hard pressed to last especially after you put more power to them.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
okay, the cups are coming off, as far as foam placement, I am not filling in the entire area, just setting some diffusion points.

there is still about 65% of the space in there open for the bass to gather thump.

plan on 'breaking in' my polk audio db651s's this weekend, running them at low-moderate for 100 hours to get the right sound on a bench in a box, off the bike. They'll be wired in series to match the 8 ohm amp I'll be using.

just bought one of these for $24 - seemed like a good deal, considering the quality must be better that the plastic ones you can buy for $8

see massiveaudio.com

then staging up for getting the amp and four 6.5's in there somehow.

the amp I ordered has a remote bass controller, hopefully it's something usable and cool.

kinda waiting on parts, but sometimes better to be patient.

·
Registered
588 Posts
the amp I ordered has a remote bass controller, hopefully it's something usable and cool.

kinda waiting on parts, but sometimes better to be patient.
bass controller = cool, but not useful in our application. I hate waiting too! Hope the break in goes good.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts

finally got the speaker cones moving about 24 hours ago.

check out my fancy 4x6.5 enclosure.

every time I check on it, it sounds different.

running everything flat for now, focus on clarity,
might hit the midnight mode or bass boost
towards the end.

thanks for the tip.
Dude,...what is this???
Your Crankn me up!
or should I say,...Crank them mothers UP!

·
Registered
588 Posts
every time I check on it, it sounds different.

running everything flat for now, focus on clarity,
might hit the midnight mode or bass boost
towards the end.

thanks for the tip.
I would give it about 24 -48 hours at low volume low power to soften the tweeter material so the highs will not be overwhelming and bright. Then add more power and throug your eq give the low low low end, just alittle more gain so the woofers can start to flex and find their perfect shape. I bet you will hear tons of changes over the next few days! Good luck with your patience!

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
put in the 6.5's into main position.

alligator clipped head unit to test.

with just polk db651s's, properly broken in, thanks to member advice,
able to run stock head unit up to 8 with no distortion, and almost
some resemblance of bass tones.

actually, wanting to test bike this way, see how AVC, closing things up
and road noise affect the sound.

my main gripe with the stock and boom audio speakers was head room, or lack there of, moving to the 4ohm product actually seems to address that nicely. And polk db's do have a nice tone.

Won't really know until I'm out on the road.

wiring loom and head unit sitting in the corner for now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts