Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into getting a new 12 in windshield. I currently have a 14in windvest for long rides but I hate looking through a windshield. I'm 5'11 riding in a stock seat. What's the pros/cons of the 3 listed in title.
btw, if anyone has a 12in for sale hit me up.

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
Looking into getting a new 12 in windshield. I currently have a 14in windvest for long rides but I hate looking through a windshield. I'm 5'11 riding in a stock seat. What's the pros/cons of the 3 listed in title.
I got a windvest and like it. It's personal preference. I don't think you can really narrow it down to pros and cons. It comes down to what you like in a windshield.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I got a windvest and like it. It's personal preference. I don't think you can really narrow it down to pros and cons. It comes down to what you like in a windshield.
Yeah, you're right. I like the wind vest I have it's just too tall. I guess my question more than anything is the LRS comparable in Wind management and quality to the windvest and freedom? The price is a good bit cheaper on the lrs

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
5' 9", stock seat. Have 11" LRS on my 15 RGS. Very happy with it. I can't speak for the other two.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Qaulity wise Freedom no questions... The others will do the job and save you a couple bucks.... I have had all 3 and will stay with Freedom....

·
Registered
623 Posts
Freedom vote here

I'm 5'7 and had a 12 inch Freedom on my '17, and now my '18. The obvious advantage with Freedom is you can try it and if you want to go higher or lower, you can (I started with a 10, tried an 11, ended with a 12).. The quality is excellent

·
Registered
321 Posts
No complaints with my LRS. Had one on my Heritage as well as on my RGS now.
Customer service is the best!
Love the quality for the price, cant beat it.
Good luck

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
I have a Klock Werks 14" Sprotsflair

Dig everything about the Sportsflair but the only thing is this windshield dosen't work with my 16" apes

My bars hit turning hard left or right and you can't lock the neck

I also have two LRS Stingrays

I have a 10" dark tint and a medium tint 13"

I personally like the LRS shields

You certainly can't beat LRS's pricing

On my sig pic I have my 13" medium tint Stingray mounted up

Good Luck

Swomack

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
None of the three you're looking at are bad choices.

I happen to like Freedom Shields, but that's driven purely by their quality, John's excellent customer service and my own personal preference.

The new Memphis Shades shields for 2015 up RGs are looking pretty tight though. I think I may snag one of those ups for ghits and siggles.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm using an LRS 10" Stingray....At 6'2" I could use a 12"... The 10 is working well so I stay with it for now...Also did the Harley plastic deflectors on each side just below the tank that clip onto the crash bar....As well as the the fork wind deflector....Wind is very manageable now......JMO....Good luck with your choices...

·
Registered
450 Posts
I'm on my 3rd Freedom shield. I don't even shop around anymore. I run an 11" sport touring and I'm 6'1" and see over it easily. Especially since I changed from the stock seat. At 5'11" a 12" might put the edge in your line of sight. You should seriously consider an 11". I have no wind buffeting or noise. It's all you need. That's what's on my bike in the signature pic.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I’ve had a Windvest & an LRS on my old 11 Ultra and Freedom on my new 17, all are good, but IMHO, Freedom makes windshields of higher quality. In addition, they have awesome customer service.

I ordered a 14” FS recently and I forgot to reference the RG.org discount. I emailed them and they sent me the discounted funds asap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2013 Road Glide and just got a dark tinted 12" LRS to replace the stock shield. I am 6'1" using the stock seat and I have no complaints. Used to get bugs splattered all over my visor and helmet with the stock shield, but nothing after 120 miles on the freeway with the new one.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm on my 3rd Freedom shield. I don't even shop around anymore. I run an 11" sport touring and I'm 6'1" and see over it easily. Especially since I changed from the stock seat. At 5'11" a 12" might put the edge in your line of sight. You should seriously consider an 11". I have no wind buffeting or noise. It's all you need. That's what's on my bike in the signature pic.
I can't get to the picture of your bike.. maybe because I'm on mobile? Can you send me a pic? I wanna go as low as possible without sacrificing

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I appreciate the responses from everyone!

·
Registered
450 Posts
I can't get to the picture of your bike.. maybe because I'm on mobile? Can you send me a pic? I wanna go as low as possible without sacrificing
if you can't see my signature pic go to my garage on my member page. If you still have problems I'll send you a pic. I truly believe a 11" sport touring freedom shield will be just below your line of sight and give you looks and wind protection. That little curve at the top really helps directing the air over your head. Wind noise was reduced by about 80%. I hear the radio the radio perfectly

·
Registered
307 Posts
I’m 5’7” and run a 13” Freedom touring. Customer service: outstanding. Quality: outstanding. Appearance: medium tint on my black ‘17 RGU looks sexy awesome. Function: as advertised. I sit in my little cocoon without any air hitting my head or my arms. I look over the top comfortably. I would be afraid to try any other brand, I’m so happy.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Interesting. I'm 6' and John recommended a 13". There's a significant difference in height, but the 13" works amazingly well for me. No wind noise, no turbulence. I look way over it, and could easily run a taller shield.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts