Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone out there is a tall rider, above 6'2" and have or has tried the new Freedom Shield Sport on their 2015 or 16 road glide. Curious what height you went with for your height, also want to see what it looks like with one of the taller freedom sport shields. Ive seen someone post on here the 12", looks pretty good, just wondering about for taller rider.

I am 6'3 with a stock seat, currently have the KW 14" sport shield, its good, just could be a little better...KW says the 12 pro touring shield would be better for me but before i lay the cash down i want to make sure there isnt a better shield out there.

Please post a picture, include your height for reference. thank for the help.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone have any updates or experience with the new Freedom Sport Touring Shield?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Wow, didn't even know they made a sport touring shield. Looks nice! If I didn't already have 2 shields from John I might be tempted.

I can't help you on that side, but they make a great product. I have an 11" and a 15" shield from them for my '15. I'm 6'3" and the 15" is plenty large for protection, yet I can still see over it. I initially order the 11" when I had a different seat on that was lower, which also was perfect. New seat changed my position enough that I chose to upgrade the shield at the same time to maintain the protection. I have never tried a different brand of shield for my RG. John and his team make a great product and back it up with a test fit and return policy that makes it hard to say no.

·
Registered
231 Posts
So for my 2016 RGU, I ended up getting a Freedom Shield 18" Touring just prior to them releasing their Sport Touring model. I'm 6ft 8in tall, 34" inseam on a Harley Tallboy seat. I think this will end up being my long distance shield as it's not the sexiest looking shield out there (it's freakin' HUGE!). I'm probably going to get either the 15" or 16" sport touring for everyday, around town riding.

Here I am with the 18" Touring shield installed

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
So for my 2016 RGU, I ended up getting a Freedom Shield 18" Touring just prior to them releasing their Sport Touring model. I'm 6ft 8in tall, 34" inseam on a Harley Tallboy seat. I think this will end up being my long distance shield as it's not the sexiest looking shield out there (it's freakin' HUGE!). I'm probably going to get either the 15" or 16" sport touring for everyday, around town riding.

Here I am with the 18" Touring shield installed
That's a good touring shield for sure, so it's not the sexiest shield but who cares. Do you think this guy is worried how his looks?:)

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
Im 6'5 and I have a 12" Freedom shield i picked up cheap used. It does ok around town but i cant sit tall on the highway without getting blasted same for 2up riding. John had said he recommended a 16" shield. I'm sure with a 1" down and 2" back seat I could get away with the 15" tho. Currently saving up for the FP3.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I am an honest 6'2" tall with a 34" inseam. The bike is a 2016 Road Glide Special with a factory seat. I just installed a new Freedom Shields Sport Touring shield this past Saturday in the dark smoke color. I was deciding between the 12" and the 13" sizes. I probably also slouch a little in my seat when riding. Unintentionally, just likely poor posture.

I really like the height of the 12" and have decided to keep it. The factory windshield was fine for around town and up to about 55-60mph. Anything faster than 60-65mph and I would start getting wind buffeting to my helmet. During my test ride this weekend I rode various speeds on highway, rural roads, etc with speeds up to 100mph (for test purposes only). There was some minor buffeting at the higher speeds but nothing i found annoying or uncomfortable. If I were to have ordered the 13" shield I would likely have liked it the same, maybe a little better. Since I had originally purchased the 12" and wanted a shorter windshield anyone I am pleased with this one. My son, who is 5'10", took a ride with me and noticed a pleasant improvement in the wind pattern for him as well. He enjoyed the new shield too.

Here are some pics for consideration:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts