Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched and found lots of info about the Sena Freewire including great hidden instals. My question though is about function and I can't seem to find the answer to this. Don't bother telling me how great the WHIM is. I don't want to sell all my Sena 20S units and buy HD branded units adding another $450-500 to the cost.

I know to connect two helmets to the bike I need two Freewire units. I am not sure I can or need to. I ride 1 up 80% of the time but when my wife rides with me we lay down some miles and love to chat while we are riding on the Sena intercom. Mostly the music comes from the bike not the headset.

I have a 17 RGS. It appears there is not a natural path to add two 7 pins to a RGS. I kind of think I have to add an Ultra rear wiring harness to get the second 7 pin. If we can keep the helmet intercom using the Sena and I can add the ability to run my phone through the infotainment so I can see who is calling, use the voice commands for navigation, and similar tasks I am good only adding one Freewire.

The way I see it I pair to my helmet to the bike and to her. My phone gets paired to the bike. Now I have BT tunes and phone functionality from the phone; voice control for the infotainment system, and intercom with the wife. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
346 Posts
If your headset and phone are paired to the bike you say you only need intercom you need nothing else. Your wife will pair to your headset only thing is she won't have communication with bike.You say you use bike speakers for music so your set. No extra 7 pin or freewire

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your headset and phone are paired to the bike you say you only need intercom you need nothing else. Your wife will pair to your headset only thing is she won't have communication with bike.You say you use bike speakers for music so your set. No extra 7 pin or freewire
That is what I thought. Everything I see talks about two freewires on an Ultra though. No one seems to think much about the specials used 2 up. Thanks brother.

·
Registered
346 Posts
That's the set up I have on my 17 and it works great. I have aux power into my saddlebag and freewire mounted in bag so its always charged.I get on bike start it up turn on my headset it confirms communication with bike and off I go. I ran the 7 pin all the way down to base of seat near where seat strap is ,dbl face taped it to chrome trim and ran wire thru small notch in bag to free wire can't even see it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
why not just get the WHIM? You can still use your sena brand headsets. Who cares of it's only mono for music, do you really listen to the tunes through the headset, the speakers suck! You can get the WHIM and cable harness on-line from other HD dealers and not pay retail. You will have to have the stealer flash the radio to see the WHIM.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Go with a whim and your headsets. I have ridden with a Harley branded headset and my old 20 s and hardly notice it's not in stereo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts