Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I upgraded my stereo yesterday with two pbr300x2 amps and two pair of the Polk mm651 speakers. I made my own plates to mount the Amps in the fairing and I used the arc audio adapters for the fairing plus the cvo boxes for the lowers.

The speakers are nice and loud but they are too pingy??? I have both amps set to AP and the gain at 4. I read this on someone else's build and just set mine the same. I tried + - trebel and bass and I still get this drone sound on some songs. One of my amps came with the remote adjuster. I did not install it, will it change anything or just add gain?

Thanks!
Wesley

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
don't have a ton of time to elaborate - but briefly

clinical = squeeky clean or accurate

coming from a guitar background, and hanging out with my buddy for years
at his used and vintage guitar shop in hollywood, I've heard and played though several different speakers, on paper, that all do basically the same thing, power wise, but sound worlds different, why?

for a guitar, the alnico blue would be the best of the best in tone but no high output, so you would need multiples, celestion are the standard, but why do the 75w vintage sound so bad when the 70/80 sound so good?, then the greenbacks or vintage 30's sound fairly warm. but still being ceramic magnets, not as good as a "red fang", or modern blue/gold hybrid. After much of this hunt, eminence has addressed the situation, by investing in infrastructure and expanding voicing options with 20+ model as to compete with themselves.

what your putting them in has a lot to do with what you need the speaker to do

long and short, any speaker has a voicing quality

any space has a resonating factor

I find the polks "accurate" -

hawg wired also accurate, but more EQ'd sounding

I guess that's where they get you on price for quality

black ZX have the same basket design as a set of eminence 12" speakers I just got so maybe the new hawg wired are manufacturered in eminence china, not sure

but that alone wouldn't make me mad, i live near eminence kentucky

I've heard some $25k tube amp setups based around $2400 worth of eminence 15's - which were real decent

just stating, an impression, or general gut feeling

accurate is good, I'd just venture to say throw a little ballsy in there too through EQ or otherwise

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Clinical,...
Eminence,...
What about 'Precense'???
If you go w/a Aftermarket Radio, you'll find more of what ur lookn for.
@W_D_R. Id go w/a Car Stereo allong w/the Splash Guard set up.
Find a Tuner that uses a Flashdrive or an IPOD, ya wont be able to play CD's w/a Aftermarket Head Unit. Thats Clinicly Proven, (hehehe) at least imho!

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
don't have a ton of time to elaborate - but briefly

clinical = squeeky clean or accurate

coming from a guitar background, and hanging out with my buddy for years
at his used and vintage guitar shop in hollywood, I've heard and played though several different speakers, on paper, that all do basically the same thing, power wise, but sound worlds different, why?

for a guitar, the alnico blue would be the best of the best in tone but no high output, so you would need multiples, celestion are the standard, but why do the 75w vintage sound so bad when the 70/80 sound so good?, then the greenbacks or vintage 30's sound fairly warm. but still being ceramic magnets, not as good as a "red fang", or modern blue/gold hybrid. After much of this hunt, eminence has addressed the situation, by investing in infrastructure and expanding voicing options with 20+ model as to compete with themselves.

what your putting them in has a lot to do with what you need the speaker to do

long and short, any speaker has a voicing quality

any space has a resonating factor

I find the polks "accurate" -

hawg wired also accurate, but more EQ'd sounding

I guess that's where they get you on price for quality

black ZX have the same basket design as a set of eminence 12" speakers I just got so maybe the new hawg wired are manufacturered in eminence china, not sure

but that alone wouldn't make me mad, i live near eminence kentucky

I've heard some $25k tube amp setups based around $2400 worth of eminence 15's - which were real decent

just stating, an impression, or general gut feeling

accurate is good, I'd just venture to say throw a little ballsy in there too through EQ or otherwise
Damn, my head hurts. Lol. Thanks HD

·
Registered
115 Posts
Wow I feel silly after reading the title I was curious to see what 2 Pabst Blue Ribbons and M&ms had to do with the bike:eek: now I get it

After only a week I can see I will need to upgrade my stereo as well.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So you suggest I run the amps in low pass?

The install took about about 8 hours. The arc audio adapters suck and don't not line up very well. I had to do some cutting to make them fit. I made my own amp plates they worked well until I was complete and was trying to install the headlights and they would not fit. It was 3am Saturday morning by this time so I left them off. It was an easy adjustment, just needed to move the amps out a bit. Wiring was tidious, but I like a clean install. Removing the tank made it simple to run power and ground to the battery. I rode again today, its just not a clean sound, they sound distorted. Do I need to just let them play to break in?

Thanks for the input!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts