1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Don't think that would fly on a shark

·
Super Moderator
12,315 Posts
I know lane splitting is legal in LA, so I guess the drivers are used to it, but he wouldn't last long in S. Florida.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Wow :eek: I've heard of it but never seen it

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Its exciting to watch, but...

I did it for one weekend in approx 1996 when I flew into SanFran and rented a Harley for the 2nd Annual Hollister event. I only had the courage to do it when splitting stopped traffic at a light, etc; but couldn't bring myself to do it in moving traffic...maybe I didn't have a good healthcare plan at the time!?! :rolleyes:

But with today's inattentive drivers plus possible road rage, I'll take a pass now.

Check out the white pickup at about 1:30 into the video. He is on the line as cyclist approaches and moves over even more towards the cyclist as he passes. I'd imagine that happens more than occasionally...either because their doing their nails, texting, or just cause they don't want to be passed. The lane-splitters may have excellent riding skills, but many cagers don't.

Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
743 Posts
I've ridden that same stretch of the nb 5 /101 hundreds of times at the same time of day. It's not bad once you get the hang of it. That stretch in the video is 3 1/2 miles and has narrower (10ft wide) lanes. He rode it in 6 1/2 minutes, avg speed around 23mph so it looks worse than it is. In my experience as you come up behind LA drivers 90% of them are oblivious to you being there. 8% see you coming and give you room. The remaining 2% see you coming and move into your path just to be assholes!

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I'm sorry, but that's just stupid.......around here you'd find yourself in somebody's door panel, and everyone would say you had it coming cuz you were being a dumbass.

·
Registered
125 Posts
He wouldn't last long in Houston (the road-rage capital). Some cager would take him out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree that it doesn't go over well in other places. The big difference is that it's legal in Cali. LOTS of bikes splitting lanes there so it's the norm.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I'm sorry, but that's just stupid.......around here you'd find yourself in somebody's door panel, and everyone would say you had it coming cuz you were being a dumbass.
what do people say when you just sit there and get rear ended. I split lanes in L.A. every day and don't consider myself a dumbass. I consider it using the maneravalibity of my vehicle to it's full potential. I'm sure I could think of some choice names for any jealous person that would injure someone just because they were stuck in a car.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
another good reason for a loud exhaust

I realize they are trying get 'sticker' compliant bikes out there.

anytime I have to ride through a metro, atlanta, LA, NY, even parts of Louisville
my revs are at 4k.

notice how the 'commuter cowboys' won't let the guy through, ( those are guys in Chevy Silverados that work at the bank ) that's a LA thing, but honestly traffic is so bad out there, I would

I mean I have, you just have to be careful, the video makes it look worse than it is

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
around here,it isn't illegal,but many don't know that.I have doen ti a few times in stopped traffic,and that's bad enough.people get jealous,try to move over to cut you off,and I even had one try to run me down in an old caddy.

Traffic was piled up for several miles behind an accident,I passed a hi-po who didn't have a problem with it,but several cars in front of him some woman doored me and shouted "that's illegal" a few times.I don't think her door ever closed right after that.

so I try to be patient and not engage in it much around here.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I couldn't do it even if it was legal here. I'd get in some shit for smashing windows of people that intentionally pinch me.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Sitting on a stopped air cooled motorcycle in bumper to bumper traffic in 90º heat is just stupid.

I couldn't do it even if it was legal here. I'd get in some shit for smashing windows of people that intentionally pinch me.
I've "accidentally" taken off a couple of side view mirrors....:D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts