Road Glide banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 FLTRXS
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All parts are ordered and many are starting to arrive as I try to put together a "super factory bike." That is, something really nice that is part sound, part performance, part long haul touring, but something that can get serviced at any HD dealer with reasonable reliability. So some mods will be pretty mudane "me too" stuff. Some will be pretty darned OFAK and make you grin. I will post update photos along the way as the build completes, along with shout outs to any vendors and with reviews of how happy (or unhappy) I am with the choices. Look out for a string of take off parts for sale too!

1. LEADING OFF
2022 Road Glide Special RDRS in White Sand Pearl.

Here is the starting point. A brand new, bone stock Road Glide Special. I talked to a lot of dealers around the country trying to package a deal. Shout out to Myrtle Beach HD right here at home who, ironically, gave me a real fair deal. I think the difference is they knew I was serious and not just price shopping.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

2. ON DECK
The next episode: In several days will include photos of the 131 kit, heavy breather extreme, full exhausts system, two subs, amps, speakers front + lids, mini apes.

3. IN THE HOLE
Future episodes: Foot Controls, Floorboards, Seat, and badges.

4. BATTING CLEANUP
Future episodes: Wide Front Wheel/Tire, Wide Front Fender, Color Matched Inner, Color Air Vent Inner, CVO Rear Fender, Extended Panels

5. IN THE FIVE SPOT
Future episodes: Slim Tour Pack, Accent LEDs, Windscreen

·
Shark of the Month October 13
12,837 Posts
I can only assume that you've read all the horror stories about the 131 kits and trans going tits-up on here and other places, but are convinced that whoever is doing yours will 'get it right'? Not trying to be a Debbie Downer here, just want to make sure you are aware. I really like the white paint as it's the perfect neutral palette to build on. Good luck, and we look forward to your progress reports.

·
Registered
2018 Road Glide Special-Wicked Red
1,797 Posts
Nice looking bike, pretty big add-on plans right out of the hole. We're here to help you spend your money if need be. May want to hold off with 131", haven't heard it turning out too well. A SE cam may be a better option until warranty runs out.

·
Premium Member
2022 FLTRXS
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, aware of this risk. This will be my second 131. I did have some very mild head gasket leaking the first time around that needed to be addressed, otherwise A-OK. I really loved the extra roll-on available at high speeds so willing to roll the dice. I will make use of the two year warranty.

Thanks for calling it out though. I do a lot of dumb stuff and appreciate someone saving me from it when possible.

·
Premium Member
2022 FLTRXS
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: Pics with the below completed:

1. Rockford Fosgate System (Three Amps, two subs in bags, two lid speakers, two fairing speakers). Update on how I feel about this after some time with it.

2. H-D 131 Kit, Vance & Hines Full System, only the SE Tuner (for now).

3. A bunch of engine black out work: Black Rocker Box Cover, Black lower Rocker Box cover, Black Pushrod Covers, black hardware kit.

4. Fairing Drop

5. Saddleman seat (Man I like this)

6. Foot Controls and Floorboads by JH Choppers.

7. Ohlins SE Rear Reserver Shocks & Ohlins Front Suspension

8. Arlen Ness Fork Boots to accommodate wide front tire fender (wheel and fender pending)

9. 14" mini apes, grip change, and flipper mirrors (not sure what mirrors I want yet)

10. Remove some ugly red reflectors, added some smoked ones back partially.

11. Custom Dynamics LED turn signals.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Motorcycle

Land vehicle Automotive fuel system Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle

Now, if that paint matched fender would just get here (along with all the other paint matched goodies), I could put this on:

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Locking hubs

More to come......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts