Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have two apparent issues that may be nothing. But considering it has to do with my front and rear wheels, I need to figure out if it's a potential safety risk.

2011 RGC with 29k on the ODO. The tries have 3500 miles on them and were installed by a local dealership. Issue started about 200 miles ago. Running Michelin Road Commanders. The issue only started recently and there wasn't an issue when I first had them installed. They ran quiet.

Front wheel noise.
When I am at 30 mph or above, there is a noise that sounds like nylon rubbing. When I pull the front brake in just slightly, the noise goes away. I've checked my front brake pads, I've removed the calipers and cleaned the pistons and I see no obvious obstructions.

Rear wheel noise.
Now this may just be the rear tire whoo whoo whooing on the road surface. But rear tires should not make noise to the extent that I can hear them over the sound of my exhaust. I've taken the same steps of inspection I did with the front. I've tried to check alignment of the rear tire but I'm not sure it's aligned properly. This is the only issue I can think of that would cause the tire to make this whoo whoo whoo sound at speed. Or....my bearings are going bad.

And yes, I checked the muffler bearings.....they are good :p:D

Anyone with similar experience.

·
Administrator
10,497 Posts
my first thought on wheels with tire noise is always wheel bearings when it may be obvious its not tire or road noise .

My front bearings went out around 20k or so , but they didn't make your noise , they sounded like rocks hitting the fender

JtB

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
If the tire don't show any type of cupping or anything like that then I'd say wheel bearings are to blame. I've heard the MoCo used not so good bearings

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tires are perfect. Air pressure is good. Took it out today.....just noise similar to mud tires on a truck going down the free way. Not sure why mine are so loud. Asphalt or concrete, doesn't matter. Makes no sense.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I had the same issue and increased air pressure a bit and the noise went away I way sure it was bearings but could not find a bad one and changed the air pressure on a whim

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
I would say its a bearing. Braking wouldn't cause a cupping noise to quiet unless you really slowed down.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
My buddy brought his 09 SG to the dealer to have his bearings replaced with less than 30k miles and they were in complete amazement that the bearings lasted that long. I don't know about you guys but that tells me something.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts