Road Glide banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced front brake pads on both calipers and now front brake handle very hard to pull to stop.
Any ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
927 Posts
You should be stopping sooner with less travel in the brake lever. In other words, where the brake lever used to pull closer to the grip with the old pads, and perhaps giving your hand more leverage to pull the lever to stop the bike, your lever has less travel, and less leverage is my guess.

The bike should stop as good if not better though. Also, depends on what pads you're now using vs the old pads. Same brand pads? Some pads are "grabbier" than others. Again, new pads will cause the lever to not travel as far as it did when you're brakes were almost shot and probably feels like you have more of a handful.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should be stopping sooner with less travel in the brake lever. In other words, where the brake lever used to pull closer to the grip with the old pads, and perhaps giving your hand more leverage to pull the lever to stop the bike, your lever has less travel, and less leverage is my guess.

The bike should stop as good if not better though. Also, depends on what pads you're now using vs the old pads. Same brand pads? Some pads are "grabbier" than others. Again, new pads will cause the lever to not travel as far as it did when you're brakes were almost shot and probably feels like you have more of a handful.
That's probably it. I didn't buy the most expensive pads, so these probably don't grab as easy. I was thinking maybe need to bleed them or change the old fluid out. They're saying need to change the fluid every 2 years and its a 6 year old bike. I'll do that anyway but you're probably right about the pads.
Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts