Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
front brake lever got stiffer and stiffer and now wont depress. Thinking ABS issue?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Has your brake fluid been flushed within the last 2 years? I’ve had some where the return port in the bottom of the master cylinder gets clogged and won’t allow the pressure to release.

·
Registered
521 Posts
front brake lever got stiffer and stiffer and now wont depress. Thinking ABS issue?
Seems to me the typical “frozen brake” issue, to avoid the issue it is recommended to not only change brake fluids (front & rear) every 2 years, but also to flush the ABS control valve using the Digital Technician (dealership only tool).
The ABS control valve trap the fluid inside at every shutdown. In theory, if the ABS never intervene, the same fluid is trapped within the valve for years until moisture lock everything up......
Most of the time the recovery is the ABS control valve change, a salty ticket.....

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
I had it happen to me also, definitely ABS. I replaced the mechanical part, the ABS is two separate units, combined price will open your eyes and make you not forget to flush it as recommended. Also your brakes can be flushed without the digital tech if you use a syringe and do it reverse of the normal, check YouTube.

Reactions: Bevis

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
As others posted year is important. Your case may have nothing to do with the ABS but be the brake cyl it's self. There were issue with some stick and failing.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Hard to say, not knowing what you are working on.

Quick test is to have someone put pressure on the lever, while you open a bleeder. If opening the bleeder lets the lever move, its not ABS related.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts