Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much play should be felt when squeezing the front brake lever?

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Measuring from the end of the throttle grip to the inside end of the brake lever (ball) I have around 3 1/2 inches, when the brake lever is pulled in until it stops without force I have 2 1/4 inches.
About a 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches of travel should be normal.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My lever is very hard. I'm under and inch or less.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Do the brakes seem to work properly?

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It works. It's that all I have to do it barely squeeze the lever and it stops. BTW, I have a single rotor set up. It feels like I should have a little be more pullback on the lever before it fully stops. Thx.

·
Registered
483 Posts
not sure if it has anything to do with your issue but I know the bikes with only brakes on one side from the factory have a smaller piston /bore size than the touring bikes with two caliper setup, the single use a 9\16 the dual use an 11\16 .
The larger bore may give you less lever travel with only one caliper since it would take less fluid to move the pads to the rotor now

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
not sure if it has anything to do with your issue but I know the bikes with only brakes on one side from the factory have a smaller piston /bore size than the touring bikes with two caliper setup, the single use a 9\16 the dual use an 11\16 .
The larger bore may give you less lever travel with only one caliper since it would take less fluid to move the pads to the rotor now

Definitely the issue. Find a softail front master cylinder and all will be normal again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts