Road Glide banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 FLTRI and I had let a friend of mine take her for a spin (trying to convert another from a road king:D). As he passed by I heard the front brake rotors (stock brakes and rotors) humming. Kinda like the pads were dragging. The first thing I did was look at the pads and rotors. It appeared the pads were pretty much touching on boths sides of each rotor. The bike freely moves forward with no resistance but there is a light brake drag. I noticed when I got the bike (bought used with 19000 mi) that the front brake lever had alot of play. I can pull the lever to about half way before the brakes begin to apply. I topped off the brake fluid and bled them down making sure there was no air in them. Nothing changed. I am not real sure what to do here. The rotors are smooth with no grooves. This is my first glide but on other bikes I never had this issue and the brake lever was much stiffer:confused:

·
Registered
809 Posts
the first thing to check it to make sure the lever isn't worn out. If it isn't the lever then rebuild the master cyclinder, it is a pretty simple precedure and isn't that expensive.

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Also if the pin that the brake pad rides on is rusted or all dryed up will keep the pad from releasing freely. A little dap of brake grease on the pad where it rides the pin will help. Also check your wheel bearings they make noise too when going bad.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the ideas

Sorry for the slow response was gone for a few days. Thanks for all the replys. The lever is new so I am good there. Checked the wheel again and the source is definatly the front brakes lightly touching the rotor. Thanks for the brake service breakdown I will be performing step by step this weekend replacing the pads. I will post back on the outcome thanks again! This site kicks a$$

1 - 5 of 5 Posts