Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just discovered one of my front brake calipers is hanging up. When I apply the brake then let off the pistons do not retract all the way. It is a 13 non ABS bike. What is the fix for this or should I just take it in to the dealer?

·
Registered
376 Posts
This happened to me on my 2001 Road King once. That time it was due to built up brake dust on the pistons in the caliper. I just scratched it off with a screwdriver, there was a ring that you could see. Give that a check, hopefully it's something dumb like that!

Reactions: Big_gary

·
Registered
223 Posts
Brake dust cleaner will do the trick. Just pump the brake so it will extend first then bring clean and push back in.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Use brake and electric motor cleaner around the piston and piston bores with lint free towels. Then you can push the pistons back into the bores and again clean the bores. I didn't see anyone mention it but once you have reinstalled the calipers make sure you pump them up tight before moving the bike. The life you save may be your own.:grin:

There really isn't any benefit to pushing the pistons out of the bores. If they go to far out they will go past the O-ring and are tricky to get back in. You also chance dragging junk back into the bores and maybe damaging the O-rings.
Just my 2 cents.:nerd:

Reactions: anonymous_1

·
Registered
376 Posts
I think I fixed mine with the calipers on the bike.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Are you just looking at the brake calipers or are you compressing the pistons to install new brake pads?? If you're just looking at the calipers the pistons are not suppose to go back in all the way when the brakes are not applied they are only going to release the hydraulic pressure.
Jack the front wheel off the ground and spin the wheel it should spin but you may have a slight bit of brake drag but the wheel should spin pretty easy, if your front wheel does this then the brakes calipers are working correctly.
If you're changing brake pads then the pistons should go into the caliper fairly easy but there will be some resistance, it is alway best to clean the caliper when doing a brake pad change. Also make sure you are pushing the pistons in straight.
Also there is no need to take the cover off the brake fluid reservoir the pistons will push in just fine with the cap on and you will not have to worry about getting brake fluid all over the bike and you will not have to bleed the brakes.

Reactions: EODHOG

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I put the wheel back on it spun free with the calipers off. Put them on and it still spun free with a little drag but not bad. After I applied the brake it will move as long as I apply pressure but as soon as my hand comes off it stops. Going down the road I hear a swish sound. Today I played with it a little and got it pushed in all the way and cleaned it up a little and that seams to have done the job. It is only the right side that was hanging up. Did not have any brake cleaner but I am going to pick up some and hit it with that tomorrow and I think I will be good to go. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Good Deal

I'm glad you got them working. Sometimes it works out simple like that. Keep us posted on the process.
Ride Safe!:grin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts