Road Glide banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK boys and girls, i determined that the front rotors were warped so i figured while i was there doing the rotors, i would upgrade the whole front brake system.

I ordered new rotors from EBC, new brakes from Hawk performance, new rotor bolts, and SS front line kit from Goodridge.

These are my questions. Which fluid would you guys recommend, DOT 4 or 5?? I want to black out my calipers, is there a special paint for brake calipers??

Is there anything else i'm missing???

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No thoughts on which DOT fluid to use??

·
Registered
992 Posts
I would stick with Dot 5. You can research the differences, but I honestly believe 5 is superior to 4.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
First, if you are putting something different from the Harley brakes, read the material given with the brakes you buy.
Use the fluid they recommend.

But, if you are using Harley Brembo Brakes, or they look like the Harley brakes,
I would stick with the fluid called for in the Harley Service manual, DOT4.
If something was to happen to your bike, and you take it into a dealer, they will assume that it is DOT4.

HD used DOT3/4 for years up until 1976, then switched to DOT 5. Then in mid-200's on SOME bikes
went back to DOT 4 and left others at DOT 5...Now all HD's are back to DOT4.

DOT5 has a higher boiling point but is a different type of fluid and attracts water more then DOT4.
DOT5 must be bleed often to maintain top performance.
DOT5 is basically a racing application, for full size cars or some race bikes.

I would stick with DOT4.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts