Road Glide banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting phenomenon with my front (2010 FLTRX non ABS) brakes. Pressure at the lever will build up to the point the lever has no pull and the brakes eventually slowly lock up. I had to bleed pressure at the caliper to release the pads from the rotor and get some give in the lever. The problem repeated itself again (no pullback in the lever) after the bleeding, but the fluid level was low enough that the brakes didn't lock.

I don't think it's a heat issue as the lever was very stiff when I first started the bike.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Just a guess, the fluid return hole in the master cylinder is blocked?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I think Chromespark nailed it. It happened on my Venture. There are 2 holes in the MC. The return hole is very small and hard to see, as I recall.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
When the pressure has them bound up, loosen the banjo bolt at the master cylinder. If that releases the pressure, rebuild the master. If not, then open the bleeders. If that releases the pressure, replace the brake line. If neither released the pressure, un bolt the calipers and see which one is bound up. Then rebuild them both and pay close attention to the one that bound up. It might need a piston or two. Or even replacing if the casting has degraded.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts