Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
‘17 RGU with tour pak removed. Purchased new one year ago. 8k on odometer.

Rear suspension set stiff based on load recommendation card. Stock hardware.

Front suspension is stock as well.

Tire pressure:
Front = 36 psi
Rear = 40 psi

On inspection everything seems to be tight, no play. But left turns feel very unstable. Right turns feel solid. Straight line I feel like I’m being pulled to the right and the front end feels like it will slide out from underneath me. At all speeds.

I’m not white knuckling it.

This issue began suddenly last week. Feels like it is getting worse.

Additional note: I do not feel any slop or play in the bars. Just an unstable feeling in general in the handling.

Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
‘17 RGU with tour pak removed. Purchased new one year ago. 8k on odometer.

Rear suspension set stiff based on load recommendation card. Stock hardware.

Front suspension is stock as well.

Tire pressure:
Front = 36 psi
Rear = 40 psi

On inspection everything seems to be tight, no play. But left turns feel very unstable. Right turns feel solid. Straight line I feel like I’m being pulled to the right and the front end feels like it will slide out from underneath me. At all speeds.

I’m not white knuckling it.

This issue began suddenly last week. Feels like it is getting worse.

Suggestions?

Inspect your wheel bearings front and rear. Check the front upper motor mount and linkage bolts to make sure one or more haven't backed out.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
How does the tread look on the front tire ? Jack it up and spin the tire and watch it spin. Look for any unevenness or wobble, same with rear.

Reactions: gtmedic

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Make sure of the input you are getting from the scooter first. A little tire noise can make a cleating issue seem a lot worse than it it.

Check the tires and wheels for bulges, dents or wobbles. If that looks all good, add some air to the tires about 10 lbs. If the symptomes change, its a tire issue.

After you are convinced its not a tire problem, find a straight paint line in a parking lot, see if the scooter will roll along and track with both tires on the paint. You'll need a helper to look for you, or some video cameras. If it wont track, somethings up in the back.

After that check the fall away on the steering head. No need for being exact, just make sure it will fall away and that there is no freeplay or binding.

Then check the wheel bearings, pull the wheels and check them close. While pulling the wheels you can check the brake calipers for dragging.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How does the tread look on the front tire ? Jack it up and spin the tire and watch it spin. Look for any unevenness or wobble, same with rear.

I will get it up on my lift and spin the wheels. I think the tread looks okay on the surface.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Spin the front wheel with one hand while holding the end of the axle with the other. If there is any bearing issues you
will feel the crunchiness in the axle.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
8,856 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is that your bike ? Its hard to tell ,but looks like the tire has seen better days.

Yes it is my bike. How often should I replace tires? I bought the bike brand new one year ago and it has 8k miles on it.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Okay... all bolts seem to be snug. Nothing loose.

I did read that all >2000 MY H-D’s maintain constant contact with the disc.

My question is is this excessive rub?

Excessive rub? Left side front https://youtu.be/rwsCfoBVkJc

Excessive rub? Right side front https://youtu.be/LOewZymr0hs

Excessive Rub? https://youtu.be/UqqEmP2utAQ

I wouldn't say that is excessive because the wheel does keep spinning after you let it go. So that looks good and I don't see anything there that would cause your issue. I would try the tire pressure change that Therm suggested and go ride it to see if that changes anything. Are the tires wearing evenly or is there cupping? Look at them from the side or a little bit of an angle to see if you see high and low spots. Run you hand over the tire to see if you can feel irregularities. It will be obvious if the is anything.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also I noticed that the bars do not fall away on their own and fall back to center from full right and full left.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
Also I noticed that the bars do not fall away on their own and fall back to center from full right and full left.

Is your bike still under warranty ? You might have a neck bearing going bad. Was it always that tight ? What are the Fall away specs on your bike ?
Mine is set to just under 1. Tighter than recommended specs.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is your bike still under warranty ? You might have a neck bearing going bad. Was it always that tight ? What are the Fall away specs on your bike ?
Mine is set to just under 1. Tighter than recommended specs.

Bike has 2-year factory warranty until 4-2020 and then H-D ESP after that.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts

There is a different method to check fall away on the new ones but that does sound like it might be too tight. I will put mine on the jack to see how it does using the old method.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Your rear tire is worn down the center, the “ice” feeling you get is when the bike leans and the angled shoulder is in contact with the road.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Your tires are flat spotted, the “ice” feeling you get is when the bike leans and the angled shoulder is in contact with the road.

Never had this happen on a motorcycle tire. Would I be able to see the flat spot?

Also wouldn’t I have noticed this after bringing her out of hibernation back in March-April? Or can a flat spot develop anytime? Issue only began last week and it has not sat for more than a day since the season began up here.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
So for shits & giggles I put my bike on the jack and the bars would swing just past center and rock back the other direction just a fraction Did the same in both directions.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts

You'd have to strip them down to run that test and expect an accurate result. If they are not binding, then its most likely OK. And I don't think it would give you any sort of rough feeling in a turn.

Its really hard to say from looking at end on photos, but that rear tire looks like it would be making some noise in a hard lean.

Did you raise the pressure and see what effect it had?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts