Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having front end shake on my 2011 fltrx. high speed in turns. I have proper air inflation in tire. Ive heard the steering stem bearings are notorious for needing adjustment. Could this be the culprit? Cant find thread on this here. Also manual says i need to check fallaway. Is this an important part of this? Has anyone photo documented the service here?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Having front end shake on my 2011 fltrx. high speed in turns. I have proper air inflation in tire. Ive heard the steering stem bearings are notorious for needing adjustment. Could this be the culprit? Cant find thread on this here. Also manual says i need to check fallaway. Is this an important part of this? Has anyone photo documented the service here?
Have you ruled out tire balancing?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I had this issue as well, and also wobble going straight. I adjusted the steering head bearing to specs. Cleared up the straight wobble, but still off in corners. I thought I was running the right air pressure of 36psi, but after the install of a 21 and metzler 880, people recommended 50 psi. Set pressure to 50psi, everything is great now.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Tire pressure depends on the tire brand and size. Look on the sidewall, it is always on every tire and rarely are two different brands or sizes the same.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I had this problem and to some extent it was still there when I sold it.....better front and rear suspension will help, wider, better front tire, helps......IMO, and from adding a bag in the passenger seat.....they have too much rear percentage of weight or something ?...because it got worse the more weight you carried or faster you went......I only think this way from years of running dirt cars.

·
Registered
125 Posts
pressure

36 is too low.. 40psi COLD will change your bike in a good way. Also reduce tendency to cup.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
36 is too low.. 40psi COLD will change your bike in a good way. Also reduce tendency to cup.
I'll give it a shot ! much easier than taking apart trees to do bearing adjustment. wish someone photo documented that process. manual says to "fashion " a bearing adjuster tool from drill rod

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Mine gets the wobble every time I let it get to 36 psi. At least 40psi in the rear stock Dunlops.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
This is how I did the steering head bearing adjustment http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=84858. I made the tool HD suggested and to me it was easier to do it this way. IMO it is better to adjust the steering head bearings a little tighter then HD specs.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Just to confirm you're talking about high speed weave/wallow. Right?

I have a high speed wallow which is pretty damned bad. What have you changed? I know exactly when I started to have a problem, the day I installed a set of 944's. I had no high speed weave at all until I swapped shocks.
- front end is stock.
- neck adjustment is spec, checked it again two weeks ago.
- tire pressures are 36f, 40r.
Wallow was REALLY bad initially when I was running with zero preload. With full preload it's better, but it's still damned bad. I attribute the problem to the difference in damping front and back. Before the back was solid as a rock (literally back breaker) and now it's ultra plush pogo'ing while the front is pretty solid.

I really need to talk to Progressive or ditch these shocks.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just to confirm you're talking about high speed weave/wallow. Right?

I have a high speed wallow which is pretty damned bad. What have you changed? I know exactly when I started to have a problem, the day I installed a set of 944's. I had no high speed weave at all until I swapped shocks.
- front end is stock.
- neck adjustment is spec, checked it again two weeks ago.
- tire pressures are 36f, 40r.
Wallow was REALLY bad initially when I was running with zero preload. With full preload it's better, but it's still damned bad. I attribute the problem to the difference in damping front and back. Before the back was solid as a rock (literally back breaker) and now it's ultra plush pogo'ing while the front is pretty solid.

I really need to talk to Progressive or ditch these shocks.
runnin ohlins rear from howard. front runnin traxxion dynamics. stock tires. filled front to 40 psi cold. ran it last night still gettin wobble. gotts put it in the air and check fallaway

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I put Progressive Suspension 440's on my rear and monotubes in the front and run the bike for about a year before I noticed any wobble in the front. My bike is a 2008 and never had wobble until this year but I never adjusted the steering head bearings and after 5 years things up front just loosened up some. I would not think shocks would make a difference but you never know, when ever you make changes there is a possibility that something else will be affected.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Progessive and another has a bracket they claim will stop the Harley wobble, check um out.
That would be the Progressive Suspension Touring Link. I have one on my 2008 but I don't know if they make one for the 2009 and later models. The Touring Link is a rear swingarm stabilizer and will not stop or reduce the front end speed wobble. The only way to stop the front end speed wobble is to adjust the steering head adjuster nut along with good tires that are at the proper PSI. IMO it is better to have the steering head adjusted a little tighter then factory specs.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I ran the True Track on my 2005. It helped a bunch. In theory there's no need for that type bracket on the 2009+ frame. I wouldn't run the old frame without it... I know too many people who have wrecked bikes at high speed because of the wallow.

I think what's really important to know is whether this is a High Speed Wallow/Weave, or a decel wobble.

My guess if this is only present at high speed, it's a damping problem in the rear. I know from past experience the Ohlins are great shocks, but they also need maintenance and rebuilds at some pretty ridiculous intervals... like 10-15k miles.

You can test for a loose neck adjustment by riding along at about 50mph, take your hands off the bars and let the bike decelerate, it'll start to shake the handlebars around 42-44mph and stop below 35 or so. You'll probably want to stop the bar shake unless you are comfy with a pretty healthy shake :) If that head shake happens, then neck bearing is most likely the problem. But, my 2005 would head shake when I put the tourpack on, remove it and it'd be solid as a rock.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Running a neck adjustment that is too tight can cause or contribute to high speed Weave... so have to be careful when running tighter than spec.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts