Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a wobble on decel on my 2013 fltrx with only 500 miles at around 40 mph when I let go of bars. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if it was fixed under warranty

·
Registered
184 Posts
Got a wobble on decel on my 2013 fltrx with only 500 miles at around 40 mph when I let go of bars. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if it was fixed under warranty
its a known problem with the RG's the steering bearing nut needs to be adjusted. They wont replace it even though I went to them 3 times in a year for mine. No more warranty now so i screwed. Dont take hands off the bars is what they tell me. LOL

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I think the bigger known problem is Road Glide riders who take their hands off the bars.

"Doctor, it hurts when I do this!"

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
It's not unique to RGs at all...

Just need to crank the steering head bearing down. If it keeps coming back either it's not being cranked down enough, or the process is not being performed properly. OR, it's a weight load problem, ie carrying 40lbs of crap in the tourpack.

And it's freakin harmless, but folks always freak out.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
It's not unique to RGs at all...

Just need to crank the steering head bearing down. If it keeps coming back either it's not being cranked down enough, or the process is not being performed properly. OR, it's a weight load problem, ie carrying 40lbs of crap in the tourpack.

And it's freakin harmless, but folks always freak out.
Agree, tho my dealer checked and they said it was in spec. I just think they arent designed or tested to be ridden hands free.

·
Registered
692 Posts
A suggestion. When you take it to the dealership don't tell them it happens when you take your hands off the bars. Tell em it's when you took one hand off to adjust the mirror .. etc.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Agree, tho my dealer checked and they said it was in spec. I just think they arent designed or tested to be ridden hands free.
Then they should just give it a leeetle more torque. Mine don't do it at all. I've said in other threads that When I've had the problem it's always been when the tourpak was on (even empty). So I suppose it's there lurking, but I can and do, routinely take both hands off the bars pretty much daily.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Then they should just give it a leeetle more torque. Mine don't do it at all. I've said in other threads that When I've had the problem it's always been when the tourpak was on (even empty). So I suppose it's there lurking, but I can and do, routinely take both hands off the bars pretty much daily.
I do as well. At highway speeds it doesnt happen, it seems to happen if you decellerate through 45mph.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Just to make it more interesting, A buddy of mine rides a Honda Goldwing GL1800. guess what happens if he takes his hands off the bars while decelerating??:rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Correct, the Decel wobble, 45-35mph off throttle, hands off bars. Can stop it even if it's goin' lock to lock with one hand or two fingers...

I'm saying I do this very thing practically every day when coasting down toward a stop light. Then again my bike doesn't wobble except with TP, which is .5% of the time.

My Heritage will do it too if I have a windshield on it and packed for a trip.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Just to make it more interesting, A buddy of mine rides a Honda Goldwing GL1800. guess what happens if he takes his hands off the bars while decelerating??:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Exactly.

I rode a buddies GW many years ago and the POS would wobble at steady speeds below about 30mph and it would really wobble when you decel'd down to a stop. Was fine at higher speeds. 15 psi in the front tire... the guy was oblivious of this. He was just used to it being like that... lol POS.

My old Honda CB nearly through me to the ground thanks to a front blow out at 45mph. That was NO fun.

Motorcycles do this... it's inherant to the design. If someone wants rock solid, best to get a car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same wobble on my 13 Ultra and took her in for the 1k service and the techs already knew since I had mentioned it prior. Got her back on Saturday morning and the wife and I have spent the past 2 days riding and doing ABC's of Touring. No wobble at all. Wife is pleased and so am I.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have experienced this too. All good info in the posts above.

One thing I have noticed when the steering head bearings are loose though is that the whole front end has more play. So, when I hit a bump, pothole, crack filler, etc - there is more movement and a looser feel in the handlebars/steering. It's very nerve racking and becomes downright scary as it gets increasingly worse and worse.

I absolutely hate it. It sucks. I have to have it adjusted far more often than I'd like. I DO NOT load excessive weight on the back.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
The only times you should get front end wobble is either when your tires are worn out (which is not the case of the OP) or the tires PSI is low or when the steering head bearings are not tightened correctly.
My bike never wobbles at any speed unless one or more of these conditions are met.

IMO tightening up the steering head bearing a little bit more then HD specs will not hurt a thing as long as the steering head bearing are properly lubed.
If the HD dealer doesn't correct the problem you may have to take matters in your own hands and make the adjustments yourself.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Made an appointment yesterday to take mine in to have it looked at, just picked it up Friday. A little scary indeed, easy fix not to take hands off but I want to make sure everything is good. Slowing down for a light is a great time to adjust sunglasses, jackets, etc so I dont think having a hand locked to the bar at all times is going to happen.
Wouldnt be the case for the OP as his bike only has 500 miles, but a buddy went through all the adjustments and they were good, turned out he had a front tire cupped pretty bad.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Mine wobbled badly at 40 mph. Dealer tightened it up gratis 20,000 miles ago and it has been smooth ever since. I can set the cruise at 40 mph and let go with no issues. Before the fix it was not so smooth....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Mine need to be torqued and greased, had to have it done twice to finally fix issue.

·
Registered
48 Posts
probley not worth chiming in on this now cause, it seems you have already decided to have it checked...but i'm going to anyway... only because of some replys being of the "not a bike made that dont wobble...get a car ...dont take your hands off etc..."

decceleration wobble is not normal for any bike within spec...countless hours of research on rake and trail steering geometry goes into modern bikes and old for that matter...

In 1996 I crashed a service customers wing due to death wobble...
the old GLs were notorious for it, usually it was just loose tripple tree bearings but left unchecked it wil lead to other issues...

I had replaced rear brakes or something like that and took it out for a quick test run, I let go of the bars for a quick second to adjust my zipper...thats all it took! those bars went friggan crazy! demon possesed, full lock to lock in a blink of an eye...I couldnt get back on the bars quick enough
I was a 26 year old dumb ass and never new that could happen to a bike...my teacher never told me that I guess...

I know your issue is not that extreme but its a start of something worse

anyways enough story time but I want to go on record... steering wobble on anything with two wheels points to an underlieing problem IMO... good for you getting it looked at

respectfully

NK Highway

I

1 - 20 of 29 Posts