Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up fellers? Hoping someone can chime in which direction I need to go. Have a 2019 SGS. Looked at some videos on removing front fender. Some guys take down the entire tire (particularly on the older models) didn't see the fender removal on the newer bikes. With the newer ones is this still necessary or can I just un-torque the four screws holding fender and just slap the new one back in?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Whats up fellers? Hoping someone can chime in which direction I need to go. Have a 2019 SGS. Looked at some videos on removing front fender. Some guys take down the entire tire (particularly on the older models) didn't see the fender removal on the newer bikes. With the newer ones is this still necessary or can I just un-torque the four screws holding fender and just slap the new one back in?
Unbolt, remove, replace!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LMFAO….When I looked at it this morning I was shaking my head. I can honestly say it was a success. Thanks for the laugh guys.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi guys,
Dumb question but I'm trying to take off the front fender and cannot get those damn bolts to move lol. I'm assuming it's an Allen correct?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Mine are. They were awfully tight too. I took a rubber mallet and tapped the allen wrench to get them to budge.

You can do it!! :)

Hi guys,
Dumb question but I'm trying to take off the front fender and cannot get those damn bolts to move lol. I'm assuming it's an Allen correct?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I got them all out except 1!!! And now it appears to be stripped! Wtf... I'm using the 1/4 Allen and can't get it to budge. Any tips on removing a stripped Allen bolt? Looks like I'm gonna have to buy new bolts from Harley when I reinstall the fender. It feels like cement

·
Super Moderator
10,290 Posts
I got them all out except 1!!! And now it appears to be stripped! Wtf... I'm using the 1/4 Allen and can't get it to budge. Any tips on removing a stripped Allen bolt? Looks like I'm gonna have to buy new bolts from Harley when I reinstall the fender. It feels like cement
Is the wheel on or off?
If off, take a pair of vise grips and make it very tight on the bolt head tap the vise grips with a hammer until the bolt breaks free.
Check to see what size the bolts are You may be able to find them less expensive at a local hardware store or here McMaster-Carr
Best of Luck!
Mike U.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Is the wheel on or off?
If off, take a pair of vise grips and make it very tight on the bolt head tap the vise grips with a hammer until the bolt breaks free.
Check to see what size the bolts are You may be able to find them less expensive at a local hardware store or here McMaster-Carr
Best of Luck!
Mike U.
I wish! The wheel is still on. I got all but one off. There's always one man. I don't know what the hell they torqued these bolts to

·
Premium Member
2018 Road Glide Special-Wicked Red
1,296 Posts
May try seeing a metric Allen will grip now. Presoak with a strong penetrating oil like kroil or pb blaster, avoid getting on the paint. Warming with heat gun, careful of temps on the paint, may do the trick to break it free.

Reactions: Mike U and Oclaf

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
May try seeing a metric Allen will grip now. Presoak with a strong penetrating oil like kroil or pb blaster, avoid getting on the paint. Warming with heat gun, careful of temps on the paint, may do the trick to break it free.
I second Kroil oil. Most don’t know about it, but it’s definitely on my shelf

Reactions: Mike U

·
Registered
80 Posts
I tried spraying it with WD 40 and still nothing. Problem now is since the bolt is stripped I can't get any type of grip on it. That and the fact that it is torqued to Hercules strength smh

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Sounds like it's time to drill off the head. Pick a drill size slightly under the screw size. Go in to just the depth of the head then break off wiggling, by hand, a punch in the hole. Take your time so as not to damage the fender finish.

·
Registered
80 Posts
But after breaking off the head, how do I get the rest of the bolt out of it's still screwed in holding the fender to the fork?

·
Super Moderator
10,290 Posts
If possible remove the front wheel, then put some heat on the bolt while holding it with a pair of vise grips.
Apply some pressure to the Vise Grips to slowly remove it.
If that doesn't work then do as @18 Wicked Special suggested and drill the head off, remove the fender then grab the stud of the bolt with Vise-Grips and remove it.
Best of Luck.
Mike U,

·
Registered
80 Posts
If possible remove the front wheel, then put some heat on the bolt while holding it with a pair of vise grips.
Apply some pressure to the Vise Grips to slowly remove it.
If that doesn't work then do as @18 Wicked Special suggested and drill the head off, remove the fender then grab the stud of the bolt with Vise-Grips and remove it.
Best of Luck.
Mike U,
I believe I can remove the front wheel. So, once I do that you're saying I should apply heat while holding the bolt from the front or back? There doesn't seem to be any space to grab around the bolt from the front of the fender

·
Super Moderator
10,290 Posts
I believe I can remove the front wheel. So, once I do that you're saying I should apply heat while holding the bolt from the front or back? There doesn't seem to be any space to grab around the bolt from the front of the fender
Once the wheel is removed You will see the bolt that's giving You trouble. There should be some of the head still there and hopefully, You will have enough room to drill the head off.
Once the head is removed remove the fender. Then apply heat carefully to the remaining stud with a pair of Vise-Grips attached. Carefully apply pressure until the stud starts to move.
Hopefully, it will come out without any damage to anything.
Mike U.

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Just went and looked at my fender, seeing that the nut is tacked to the fender, with the allen bolt entering from the outside of the fork slider. Most likely the bolt is stuck in the fork bore hole. Before boring out the head, try an easy-out extractor on the head. NOTE; If it hasn't sat overnight soaked with pb blaster etc, don't go any further until it does it's magic.

Reactions: NCPiper and chbush

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just went and looked at my fender, seeing that the nut is tacked to the fender, with the allen bolt entering from the outside of the fork slider. Most likely the bolt is stuck in the fork bore hole. Before boring out the head, try an easy-out extractor on the head. NOTE; If it hasn't sat overnight soaked with pb blaster etc, don't go any further until it does it's magic.
Yeah I'm looking online for a bolt extraction kit that I can go and pick up at home Depot or Lowes. Haven't found anything yet. I didn't use PB blaster but I sprayed it with WD-40.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts