Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Just went and looked at my fender, seeing that the nut is tacked to the fender, with the allen bolt entering from the outside of the fork slider. Most likely the bolt is stuck in the fork bore hole. Before boring out the head, try an easy-out extractor on the head. NOTE; If it hasn't sat overnight soaked with pb blaster etc, don't go any further until it does it's magic.
All of the bolts were ridiculously torqued and almost impossible to get out. I'm surprised I was able to get the other 3 out without stripping them. There's always 1 bolt that has to be the pain in the ass! Smfh. I'm stuck right now. Help!

·
Super Moderator
12,107 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Road Glide Special-Wicked Red
1,697 Posts
Not necessarily over torqued, but the shank of the steel screw corroded to the aluminum slider bore (dissimilar metals). Another option would be to drill through the bolt to the depth of just shy of the fender so it will break off. Try an easy-out first, been known to save the day. Buy a quality one, as cheap ones are too soft and useless.

Reactions: NCPiper and Mike U

·
Registered
203 Posts
Do yourself a favor and either get Kroil or PB Blaster they will definitely be better than WD40.
Here's a link to Bolt Extractors from Lowes https://www.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-BOLT...auDwCvAY19C93HhTpDxoCq2sQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Hopefully, Your local Lowes will have them.
Mike U.
Actually just realized I had a can of PB blaster and just soaked the head of the bolt and as much as I could behind the fender where the nut connects. I'll let it soak and then go to Lowes tomorrow and get an extraction set. I also called Harley and plan on buying new bolts as I can't put this one back in. I still don't understand why they were torqued so much

·
Super Moderator
12,107 Posts
Not necessarily over torqued, but the shank of the steel screw corroded to the aluminum slider bore (dissimilar metals). Another option would be to drill through the bolt to the depth of just shy of the fender so it will break off. Try an easy-out first, been known to save the day. Buy a quality one, as cheap ones are too soft and useless.
Steel Bolts in Aluminum can wreak havoc for sure.
Aluminum Corrosion is a BITCH.
Mike U.

·
Super Moderator
12,107 Posts
Actually just realized I had a can of PB blaster and just soaked the head of the bolt and as much as I could behind the fender where the nut connects. I'll let it soak and then go to Lowes tomorrow and get an extraction set. I also called Harley and plan on buying new bolts as I can't put this one back in. I still don't understand why they were torqued so much
If You find corrosion on the fork legs where the fender bolts go in apply a very little anti-seize on the new bolts before putting them back in.
This will save You the headache in the future. Just make sure the bolt are tight enough not to come loose.
I hope everything works out well for You.
We've all been there, done that, so You are not alone.
MIke U.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Lightly coat the new bolts with anti-seize to prevent it from happening again.

Reactions: NCPiper and chbush

·
Registered
203 Posts
If You find corrosion on the fork legs where the fender bolts go in apply a very little anti-seize on the new bolts before putting them back in.
This will save You the headache in the future. Just make sure the bolt are tight enough not to come loose.
I hope everything works out well for You.
We've all been there, done that, so You are not alone.
MIke U.
Appreciate it bro. I was actually attempting to install chrome fork lowers and was at the first stage of removing the fender and been stuck there ever since lol. The PB blaster won't damage the paint or anything right?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Do yourself a favor and either get Kroil or PB Blaster they will definitely be better than WD40.
Here's a link to Bolt Extractors from Lowes https://www.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-BOLT...auDwCvAY19C93HhTpDxoCq2sQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Hopefully, Your local Lowes will have them.
Mike U.
Mike,

I don't think these Irwin bolt extractors will work because the socket cannot wrap around the bolt because of how it's installed into the fender. I need something that goes inside of the rounded out all head and can extract it. No?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Fyi, the appropriate easy-out extractor will say what drill size to use. Avoid getting it on the paint, I wouldn't trust it on paint. Tapping the bolt head with a punch/hammer will help the blaster work in the bore.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Fyi, the appropriate easy-out extractor will say what drill size to use. Avoid getting it on the paint, I wouldn't trust it on paint. Tapping the bolt head with a punch/hammer will help the blaster work in the bore.
Ok. I need to purchase a rubber mallet because I don't want to use a regular hammer. I'm praying for a miracle here lol

·
Super Moderator
12,107 Posts
Do as @18 Wicked Special suggested.
I would add to cover the inside of the fender with masking tape and the outside with a towel or something to make sure no PB Blaster or such gets on it.
It's not a hard job just tedious and time-consuming so take Your time and be extra careful being this is Your first crack at it.
Check The YouTube for a video on removing bolts with extractors to get an idea before proceeding.
If You run into trouble return and let Us help You.
Hang in there You'll get it out.
Mike U.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Ok. I need to purchase a rubber mallet because I don't want to use a regular hammer. I'm praying for a miracle here lol
Rubber mallet won't do much, just LIGHTLY tap with a ball peen hammer to basically vibrate the oil in. As Mike U said, take your time, you got this. Tonight the bear got you, tomorrow you chase it out of the woods!

·
Super Moderator
12,107 Posts
A small ball peen is definitely your friend here.
Rubber mallets are for other jobs not this.
Mike U.

·
Super Moderator
12,107 Posts
If it comes down to needing heat a Bernz-O-Matic Torch could do the trick.
Mike U.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
EDIT: Ignore my post. I see it's already covered above.

Best wishes.

WD-40 is not the right tool.. I know I know... we were sold and told that for many years. Use PB BLaster or the Kroil Oil.
PB Blaster and screw extractor are at Lowe's.

Yeah I'm looking online for a bolt extraction kit that I can go and pick up at home Depot or Lowes. Haven't found anything yet. I didn't use PB blaster but I sprayed it with WD-40.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
On a side note: before you go after the offending bolt with a drill and such, put the bolts back in on the other side just a few threads. Otherwise when the offending bolt does finally crack loose, the fender will drop or spin and smack into something - I'm told that's bad for the paint.

21 - 40 of 84 Posts