Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
On a side note: before you go after the offending bolt with a drill and such, put the bolts back in on the other side just a few threads. Otherwise when the offending bolt does finally crack loose, the fender will drop or spin and smack into something - I'm told that's bad for the paint.
That's a good tip. Thank you. I have a laundry list of told I need to buy from Lowe's today lol. A ball peen hammer, extractor kit, and a 24 mm socket to remove the front axle nut ( I thought I had the proper size to remove it but I didn't). I'm really hoping this extraction kit works today. I also need to to Harley and get new fender bolts since this over will be no good

·
Premium Member
2018 Road Glide Special-Wicked Red
1,296 Posts
On a side note: before you go after the offending bolt with a drill and such, put the bolts back in on the other side just a few threads. Otherwise when the offending bolt does finally crack loose, the fender will drop or spin and smack into something - I'm told that's bad for the paint.
Good point, figured it was a given.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ok guys so I just came back from my local hardware store and got the Irwin spiral flute extractor set. I saw it on YouTube and it seemed to work pretty well. On the back it tells you which extractor to use along with which size drill bit. See the pics I attached.

I just wanted to confirm with you guys that I should be using a 19/64 drill bit based on the package? The Allen bolt head is 1/4 inch. The hardware store didn't have a 19/64 left handed drill bit though

Attachments

·
Registered
505 Posts
c'mon my man, you should be able to hold those up to the screw and discern which one is appropriate regardless of what we say.
But using some math, 19/64 approximates to .29 which is close to a 1/4.

I just wanted to confirm with you guys that I should be using a 19/64 drill bit based on the package? The Allen bolt head is 1/4 inch. The hardware store didn't have a 19/64 left handed drill bit though

·
Registered
80 Posts
c'mon my man, you should be able to hold those up to the screw and discern which one is appropriate regardless of what we say.
Lol I wasn't sure if the extractor is supposed to fit snug into the stripped bolt but I have determined it is. Therefore, the ex-5 but is the one I supposed to use but I have to get a 19/64 drill bit so I'm headed back to Lowe's

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
^^^What he said and if l/h bit not available, standard r/h will work.

Reactions: NCPiper

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Apply some pressure to the extractor so it bites good and rotate ccw.

Reactions: Oclaf

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Ratchet, you want to feel it. Those extractors are hardened steel, they'll break if over torqued. Then it's fun getting them out %[email protected]*&%.

Make sure the exposed threads on the fender side have some oil on them, to make it as easy as possible.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Understood.. I went under the fender to the attached nut side and sprayed it with the PB blaster as well. I hope this works! Fingers crossed

·
Registered
80 Posts
So, it's a no go fellas! Smfh...I used the ex-5 extractor bit after using the included 19/64 left handed extraction bit and the damn bolt still will not move. As far as the drilling part, I can't say if I was supposed to drill down even further or if the purpose of the drilling is to further bore out the sides of the bolt so that the extractor can grip. Either way, what little grip is was able to get didn't move the bolt at all. I'm really at my wigs end here and don't know what else to do

·
Super Moderator
10,289 Posts
So, it's a no go fellas! Smfh...I used the ex-5 extractor bit after using the included 19/64 left handed extraction bit and the damn bolt still will not move. As far as the drilling part, I can't say if I was supposed to drill down even further or if the purpose of the drilling is to further bore out the sides of the bolt so that the extractor can grip. Either way, what little grip is was able to get didn't move the bolt at all. I'm really at my wigs end here and don't know what else to do
@Rachi79 It sounds like You may have to heat it up. By chance do you have any Mechanic Buddies that could lend a hand?
BTW where are You located?
I’m in NY and would be glad to help if You are nearby.
Mike U.

·
Registered
80 Posts
@Rachi79 It sounds like You may have to heat it up. By chance do you have any Mechanic Buddies that could lend a hand?
BTW where are You located?
I’m in NY and would be glad to help if You are nearby.
Mike U.
Honestly, I don't have any mechanic buddies as I'm a new rider and the only one of my friends who rides. I've just been learning as I go along. I'm also in NY in Rockland county.

·
Super Moderator
10,289 Posts
Honestly, I don't have any mechanic buddies as I'm a new rider and the only one of my friends who rides. I've just been learning as I go along. I'm also in NY in Rockland county.
@Rachi79 I’m in Westchester near the TZ Bridge. If You need My help PM Me and we can make arrangements.
Mike U.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'll actually originally from Westchester and just moved up here in September. I'd really appreciate your help. Thx

·
Super Moderator
10,289 Posts
I'll actually originally from Westchester and just moved up here in September. I'd really appreciate your help. Thx
You’re welcome Brother.
Hopefully, We will get this straightened out soon.
Mike U.

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Agree, sounds like some heat is the next step(aluminum expands greater than steel). If that's a no go, then you'll have to drill the bolt out. A bit just under the thread size to a depth just short of the fender, then snap it loose with punch. Remove the remainder in the slider(ream) with a bit the size of the other holes. Then carefully remove the thread end out of the fender. Hopefully Mike U is close enough to get you out of this jam.

Reactions: NCPiper and Mike U
41 - 60 of 82 Posts