Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I'm wanting to change my front forks for gloss black. Other than fork oil, are there any additional kits, gaskets, etc that I need. Dealership says yes.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
You need to get the progressive monotubes while you have them broke down. You'll thank me later

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have considered that actually. I've heard a lot of good things on here about them.

What else do I need other than the forks and fork oil though? I have found gloss black forks for $150 vs Harley's $499 price tag...but then dealer said I have to have other stuff.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
483 Posts
you will need fork seals , and possibly new bolts for the dampers in the bottom of the forks.
When I installed my monotubes iI could not get the old bolts loose it was easier to drill the head off carefully and get new bolts and washers for under $5 .
look here http://www.shopronniesharleydavidson.com/ under the oem parts finder for your year and see what parts are involved in what your doing.
Eagle

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
There's no better opportunity then now to go with monotubes. I'd seriously consider spending the extra dollars to do it now.

You'll also need fork seals.

You might also think about cowbells if you haven't already. Can't have nice new gloss black fork legs underneath the cheap tin stock cowbells.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
when i changed mine over to gloss black its a 2012,the parts people said that i needed a kit it was over a $100 it came with all new bushings,seals bolts,ect,they said that was the way HD sells it for the 12,so i got just fork seals for a 10,same part as the 12 seals by the way,if you look at the part # for the lower legs the part # hasnt changed in years,the seals worked great ,no need to replace the bushings with only 750 miles on them,didnt know any thing about the monotubes at that time, wish i had,thats the one thing bad about this forum,the more you read,the more you learn and the more you spend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts