Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the middle of the Mono tube job and ran into a problem getting the upper plug out of the fork tube. What tool other than the MOCO tube holding tool are you guys using to hold your tubes steady enough to remove the upper tube plug?

I tried to slide the tube back in the triple trees and use the pinch bold but dont have much room to get at the plug then.

Any Ideas?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I used the Jim's tool to hold the fork in a vise.I loosened the caps with an adjustable wrench held at an angle while they were still in the trees.you could also use a 1/2 breaker bar and an extension if you got a socket big enough to fit the caps.they'll be metric for sure.I think if you really wanted to,you could use a socket designed for hub nuts on front wheel drive cars, should be available at auto parts stores.sometimes even for rent.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Big_gary I left the down tube in the triple tree clamped so I could loosen the upper fork nut then I removed it from the triple tree and finished loosening and removing the nut, be careful the cap is under pressure so as you remove it don't let it hit you, then I repeated the process to tighten when finished. Hope this helps

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not having problems with the 36 mm Caps , it's the plug that the caps screw into.

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Big_gary I left the down tube in the triple tree clamped so I could loosen the upper fork nut then I removed it from the triple tree and finished loosening and removing the nut, be careful the cap is under pressure so as you remove it don't let it hit you, then I repeated the process to tighten when finished. Hope this helps
I tried that. How did you get on the plug ?

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used the Jim's tool to hold the fork in a vise.I loosened the caps with an adjustable wrench held at an angle while they were still in the trees.you could also use a 1/2 breaker bar and an extension if you got a socket big enough to fit the caps.they'll be metric for sure.I think if you really wanted to,you could use a socket designed for hub nuts on front wheel drive cars, should be available at auto parts stores.sometimes even for rent.
Was looking for a home made JIMS / MOCO vise tool, I have neither. I do have a bench vice , but don't want to mess up the tubes. I didn't think the plug would be this tight. I tried using some towels around the tubes in the bench vise and it just turns when I go to loosen the plug. I don't want to apply much more pressure on the tubs between the vise jaws .

·
Registered
713 Posts
I tried that. How did you get on the cap ?
I loosened the triple tree after removing the top cap and slid the tube down till I could but on my fork cap socket with extension threw the upper tree then retightened the triple tree to hold the tube then loosened the cap. If you don't have the fork cap socket you can remove your gas tank to get access to the nut with a wrench after you lower the tube.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
If you have an old innertube you can cut a strip to wrap the tube in then put it in the vise. The rubber protects the tube and also prevents it from rotating in the vise.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Big if you need to remove your tank there is a thread on the forum by frank from dragos with step by step instructions that make it real easy.

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks guys for all the quick replies. I finally got it . I tried the rubber around the tube but it still slipped. The triple tree way will work if you have the socket that fits over the plug or remove the gas tank and use a crescent wrench . I have more sockets than your average gas monkey but none fit over the plug and I didn't want to have to remove the gas tank.

The way I got it was I flipped the tube over and put the plug in the bench vise . I wasn't worried about cranking down on the plug. I then wrapped a few layers of masking tape around the tube and placed a chain vise grip around the tube where the tape was and it turned right off.

I post some more pics of the process when I'm finished for you guys thinking about doing the drop in kit your self.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I removed the tank (10 min job max) and it was easy removing both the cap and the plug after dropping the forks a bit and tightening the pinch bolts. Didn't fully remove the plug - just loosened it. I removed the plug after I removed the forks completely - remember, it's under spring pressure so be sure to have a good grip on the plug when you remove it. (Or the fork tube in BG's case.) :)

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I used a 1 1/2" fernco rubber coupling with two pipe clamps on it. Slide the fernco over the tube and tighten the clamps and use a pipe wrench to hold tube while you loosen it. the thick rubber protects the fork tube well and give the wrench great grip. Works well for installation also. :)

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I used some rubber mat strips and a bench vise and it slipped. I was kinda afraid to crank down too much.

Anyways all worked out well. I got her put back together . I took her for a little spin and like the way the bike felt.

I would recommend just taking the tank off ( which give you plenty of room to work ) and using the lower trees and pinch bolt to hold the tubes while loosening/ tightening the upper plug and cap if you don't have the proper MC tools.
The cap is a 1 3/8" and the plug I just used a 12" adjustable wrench.

Besides that all was rather easy. I only used one spacer per side and its still somewhat stiff but could be better.. If I was not worried about height issues I would recommend using two spacers per side. Here are a few pics of the job.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
a few more

Attachments

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did not remove my bars but just loosened them to get at the Cap nut on the forks.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The first pic shows a good shot of the 5/8" pinch bolt right above the brake line. The second is with the bars lowered.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This pic is a lay out of how your forks go back together with the mono tube inserts. The spacers go on the top end of the spring right below the (already installed ) black plastic washer. Use 1,2 or 0 spacers per your liking . The more spacers the stiffer the ride and the higher the stance. 1/4 " per spacer.

This job is so easy even an Engineer could do it ! lol

Attachments

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
By the way you don't have to separate your forks if you choose not to . I just wanted to put new fork seals in seeing I was this far into it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts