Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So- When you've removed and need to replace your fork seals, don't buy the pvc pipe, or the expensive seal driver tool from the Harley shop. I found on YouTube, a video of a dude wrapping the fork tube with a single strip of masking tape (about 3/16" thick, in a single tape width) and using the tube itself to "slide-hammer" the seal into place. After the seal is in place, re-install the keeper (retaining ring), then peel the masking tape off, wipe any remaining adhesive off with rubbing alcohol. Done!

If I hadn't seen the video, I wouldn't have believed it. But it works. If I can remember my photobucket password, I'll try to post some photos.

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
Would definitely work but I think I'd like the feel of a hard piece of PVC better for seating the seal.

·
Registered
309 Posts
..... actually it worked really well and it did have a good solid feel when we were putting everything back together. But to each their own.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Sounds cool but it's only a couple of dollars for the pvc pipe which works great and you can use it over and over again if you need to. Not that the seals get replaced often but it's not a single use "tool"

·
Registered
612 Posts
Being a plumber i have miles of pvc so not a big deal thanks for the video. I do know many people who have used this method. It works fine especially in a pinch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts