Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 RGU with 50k miles. The owners manual calls for rebuilding the front forks at 50k miles. I was planning on changing the fork oil, but rebuilding them seems excessive. They ride fine and have no leaks. What do you think?

Also, I am going to change the spark plugs. Is there anything else I should consider doing while the tank is off?

Thanks
Emil

·
Super Moderator
9,686 Posts
I doubt they need rebuilding , are any seals leaking ?? I change my fluid every couple years , my forks have 75000 miles on them and are doing fine ..

You have to remove the tank to do the plugs ?? HHMM didn't know that ..

JtB

·
Registered
10 Posts
Replace fork oil and seals if doing a fluid change. But it would be a perfect time to upgrade the cartridges. There are of options are out now. Trust me upgrading the front is going to be better than stock in every way from travel, braking, and cornering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
415 Posts
The lower internal bushings are probably worn now at 50k. At minimum, I'd replace the oil. I'd seriously consider replacing the springs and bushings while you are in there. Bushings are cheap and springs are around $100.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I would definitely replace the bushings and seals. The teflon coating on the bushings will most assuredly have worn off. If you’re happy with the springs you can keep them, but as others have said there are a number of better options out there if you want an upgrade while you are doing it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Here is a pick of my bushings with 50k kilometers, so about 35k miles. New, they are copper coloured all around, you can see that is almost 100% worn off. I replaced bushings, seals, new Progressive HD springs (that I have grown to like over time), and new oil. Good for another 50k I hope.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
If you are happy with them, just change the oil and leave them be.

If you like the idea of upgrading to cartridges, then just leave em be until you do the cartridges.

You should be able to just pull the cluster plastic and drop the forks right out of the trees one you loosen everything up. These newer baggers use a fork setup similar to the old 39mm setup. Perfect time to add some chrome legs and fork cans.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a pick of my bushings with 50k kilometers, so about 35k miles. New, they are copper coloured all around, you can see that is almost 100% worn off. I replaced bushings, seals, new Progressive HD springs (that I have grown to like over time), and new oil. Good for another 50k I hope.
I was on the fence until I saw your picture. That was very helpful.

Thanks
Emil

·
Registered
658 Posts
As has been said, I would rebuild the forks if you're going to pull them to change the fluid anyways. Also, if you have any thoughts of upgrading the internals, this would be the perfect time just so that you aren't pulling everything apart again in the near future.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Like was said. Its apart. Do what you may want to do later now. I can tell you I was happy with the 500 bucks I spent on the Progressive Monotubes I put in my 16. The improvement in braking and handling was a big difference from stock. Corner braking was night and day. Where I would cringe I became confident. The 19 suspension is a great improvement over the 16. But still not like the Monotubes.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As has been noted, those bushings and seals are wear items. Get in there and change them. Were it me, I'd go with Racetech springs and Ricor Intiminators, or just drop in the Ohlins cartridges.
I never even considered upgrading the front suspension. What in particular do you like about these components?

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I never even considered upgrading the front suspension. What in particular do you like about these components?
I cant speak to this components specifically. But for me putting in the Progressive monotubes over the stock was like going from a 70s Buick suspension to a Corvette suspension. Some people describe it as a harsh ride. When it's not. It's very reactive and well planted. Once you realize the handling benefits you have an Aha moment. No longer feels "harsh" but very predictable and confident.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Any front aftermarket suspension is better than stock tbh. It really depends on what are you are looking for in a ride. Monotubes, legends, Fox, or Ohlins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I've had excellent results from the Racetech/Ricor combination. Good ride, much sharper handling.

I cant speak to this components specifically. But for me putting in the Progressive monotubes over the stock was like going from a 70s Buick suspension to a Corvette suspension. Some people describe it as a harsh ride. When it's not. It's very reactive and well planted. Once you realize the handling benefits you have an Aha moment. No longer feels "harsh" but very predictable and confident.
I had Monotubes in my CVO Ultra when Y2K Dave and I rode from Breezewood, PA to Guttenberg, IA (about 850 miles) in a day. The ride was horrible. Tore the damn things out the second I got home and went with the Racetech/Ricor combination.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Add me to the group suggesting upgrading your suspension. As said, if your already in there you might as well. My Suspension was truly night and day compared to stock. Bike had a more sporty feel the front end no longer dived when braking. On my future bikes, I plan on working the suspension before doing any other mods, it;s that noticeable of a difference.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Another note. Haven’t seen it as much with the M8s as I do with Twin Cams, but if you’re going to have your tank off to change the plugs, inspect your plugs wires also. Have seen the wires lay against the frame and end up wearing through the wire casing.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Could I be so kind to suggest chroming those front forks and cow bells???? That would accentuate the whole ride!!!!! Plus, it looks cool!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
+ whatever on upgrading the front suspension.

but, while you've got the tank off, might i suggest polishing the tops of the rocker boxes? it's a lot easier to get to, and get good results with the tank off.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts