Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My good ol' 2001 has recently gotten a bad case of tremors. The floorboards in particular and now the seat as well. It's all "needles & pins" and a real pain on the long haul. It started gradually last season when I rode early November with just 35F. I think the cold cracked the front motor mount (it being saturated with the occasional oil spill probably made matters worse).

So, out with old and in with the new BUT I'm not getting the OEM. I also heard that the OEM motor mount prior to the 2007-model was better so it's out of the question to get a 2007 and later motor mount.

I am considering getting one of these:

Glide Pro

Alloy Art

or
Velva Ride

Any others tried any of these? Any inputs appreciated!

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
VikingRider, I installed the Glide Pro System on my 2012 RG Custom over the winter.
I haven't had the opportunity to ride it yet because I'm still finishing up other work that I did.
I can tell you the Glide Pro is a very well made front Engine Mounts as well as the Swing Arm Bushings.
Best of luck on whatever you decide.
Mike U.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VikingRider, I installed the Glide Pro System on my 2012 RG Custom over the winter.
I haven't had the opportunity to ride it yet because I'm still finishing up other work that I did.
I can tell you the Glide Pro is a very well made front Engine Mounts as well as the Swing Arm Bushings.
Best of luck on whatever you decide.
Mike U.
Thanks bro; where did you buy it? From their online-site?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I just ordered mine (front and rear) last week and installed it this week. Huge difference!!! Call and talk to Jake and you'll probably get a discount. I got a discount and free shipping. Great guy to deal with and a superior replacement part compared to the stock units.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I just ordered mine (front and rear) last week and installed it this week. Huge difference!!! Call and talk to Jake and you'll probably get a discount. I got a discount and free shipping. Great guy to deal with and a superior replacement part compared to the stock units.

So what was the difference? Less vibration, more stable in curves? Inquiring minds want to know. ?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
So what was the difference? Less vibration, more stable in curves? Inquiring minds want to know. ��

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I replaced mine because I have been battling what I feel to be a right turn instability and it scared me making right hand sweepers (exit ramps) and I'd end up taking them stupid slow like a novice rider. Left turns were fine. How I determined the alignment was off or not right was by removing the dog bone upper front engine mount and when I did the entire front of drivetrain shifted about 1/2" left in the front. Now there is enough give and flexibility in the stock mounts to allow the engine to just be thrown in however they want to bolt it up at the factory. I did some measuring with laser levels, plum bobs and string then quickly determined that the swing arm alignment on my bike was canted (higher and forward on right/lower and rearward on left) and the engine was sitting canted as well (left in front and right at the rear). Using the Glide Pro mounts there is little to no give and the engine/trans/swing arm will only set in the frame one way and it measures perfectly aligned now.

Since replacing the mounts the bike feels extremely tight in all situations, turns are no longer white knuckled and I have restored confidence in my riding abilities. I will also add that there is a little bit of vibration felt in the boards at idle, but this should be expected from the harder/thicker (polyurethane???) bushing material but is smooths out once the engine RPMs come up.

If you look at pics below of the swing arm shaft in relation to the hole in the floorboard mount you can see how the swing arm shaft bolts aren't centered in the bushing. This was a huge indication that things were out of whack. The third picture shows how much the engine shifted just by unbolting the dog bone. I will also add that I bought an adjustable dog bone mount <'08 style because the stocker wouldn't line up as it should have after the mounts were changed. It was about 1/8" off and I didn't want to force it.

I want to also take a minute to let anyone planning to use this kit know that you may need heat (torch) and a carbide grinding bit to get the right side swing arm shaft nut off. I can make recommendations via PM is advice is needed. Thanks

left side swing arm

right side swing arm

dog bone mount

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I installed a Glide Pro motor mount in my Road King. Man what a difference. At idle before with a new HD mount the handle bars were jumping like a bucking bronc. The bike was only comfortable to ride at 60MPH max after that there was so much vibration .
after the Glide Pro was installed I could tell the difference right at start up.
The Glide Pro was was a savior after a swing arm rebuild with a new HD front and rear mounts I couldn't stand riding the bike. I gave it a few thousand miles to settle in but it was not happening. I tried Glide Pro as a last resort.Bingo problem solved. I only installed the front motor mount.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
The front motor mount problems were with the 06 and earlier motor mounts, the 07 and later motor mounts are a better improved mount.
The main problem with the earlier mounts was that oil spilled on the mount would deteriorate the rubber and the mount would fail over time. In 07 HD went to a different rubber compound which is oil resistant making the motor mount more dependable.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Even for the new frame glide pro is the way to go. The HD mounts are rubber no comparison to poly...
I have the full kit for swing arm and motor mounts on my 2012 way to go.
To 29psi or who need to know to removed the right side first remove the left side use the bolt only and and tight it (very Tight) to the shaft with a impact wrench on the left and holding the right side I was able to take mine off.
Ken FYI even after adjusting neck bearing wabble at high speeds. Glide Pro and Timken bearing on both wheels cure the problem.
HD should quit trying to compete with Victory and Indian by adding gadgets and fix what we know is wrong they have many loyal customers and growing through the years suspensions is been over looked or not doing enought... HD price tag is high enough to at least cover a solid suspension.
On the flip side have open the door for many businesses improving those areas.
Just need more money...

Reactions: RGKen

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I have an 08 with 22k miles on it. It shakes a lot more at stoplights than my friends with newer 103's. Do you guys think it could be the motor mounts wearing out? The main ones I ride with are a '12 103 softail and '14 110 street glide.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Forgot to mention on my post, don't install if you changed your rear stock wheel to 17 and 200mm tire. Don't ask how I know ?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I have an 08 with 22k miles on it. It shakes a lot more at stoplights than my friends with newer 103's. Do you guys think it could be the motor mounts wearing out? The main ones I ride with are a '12 103 softail and '14 110 street glide.

Could be the motor mounts wearing out but it could also just be the difference in the model years and how the motor is mounted in the frames. 2009 & up are all the same frame and a much better system than the 2008 & older. With that said, the front motor mounts do commonly wear out like Ironmark stated on the older frames so that could be your issue.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Could be the motor mounts wearing out but it could also just be the difference in the model years and how the motor is mounted in the frames. 2009 & up are all the same frame and a much better system than the 2008 & older. With that said, the front motor mounts do commonly wear out like Ironmark stated on the older frames so that could be your issue.
Thanks Ken! I do have a little bagger shake going over bumps and road imperfections on the highway. Add that to the vibrations I'm getting at idle, I should probably plan on motor mounts.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
No your motor mount is just fine! I bought into the motor mount myth on my 08 and swapped it out when it had over 50,000 miles and it was just a waste of money because my motor mount was just like new.
The bike shaking at a idle is just the characteristics of the 08 so if you want to smooth it out putting in a aftermarket motor mount may help some but I am not sure if there would be much benefit. I am still running a stock motor mount on my 08.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
No your motor mount is just fine! I bought into the motor mount myth on my 08 and swapped it out when it had over 50,000 miles and it was just a waste of money because my motor mount was just like new.
The bike shaking at a idle is just the characteristics of the 08 so if you want to smooth it out putting in a aftermarket motor mount may help some but I am not sure if there would be much benefit. I am still running a stock motor mount on my 08.
Thanks Mark! I can live with the shaking at idle, I didn't notice it until my buddy pointed it out. I am pretty interested in something to get rid of the occasional higher speed wobble though. Maybe bagger brace or something similar.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Good day Viking Rider. My 06 had the same buzzy floor boards as yours, handle bars to. Also developed some rear steer. Took it to my INDI. He took one look at the front motor mount, said it was finished. He replaced it with a cheap Drag Specialty motor mount as he had it in stock. Completely fixed the vibes and the rear steer. I was also considering the glide pro and velva ride. The $25.00 drag specialty mm works fine. I am kind of glad I saved some money.

Reactions: VikingRider

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Thanks Mark! I can live with the shaking at idle, I didn't notice it until my buddy pointed it out. I am pretty interested in something to get rid of the occasional higher speed wobble though. Maybe bagger brace or something similar.
I use the Progressive Suspension Touring Link and it works well and the price is right.

Reactions: VikingRider
1 - 19 of 19 Posts