Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at upgrading the suspension on my 13 fltrx. No way I can do front and rear at the same time so my question is which would you guys upgrade first, front or rear? BTW, I'm looking at doing the progressive monotubes up front and maybe a arnott air ride in the back... I found a company that have Arnott Air ride suspension kits clearanced for 371.00.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Got a link?

Wouldn't happen to have a link to that vendor would ya?

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I have monotubes in front and super shocks in rear with no compaints. I know nothing about Arnott air ride but that price is very affordable and worth a look if I were in the market.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
With as easy as the labor is, as long as you have a little mechanical know how, I would personally go for the rear shocks first. I have no experience with Arnott, but I am sure the install can't be anything complicated. Good luck, let us know what direction you choose and how it turns out. Pricing sounds awesome on the Arnott system.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Front or rear suspension upgrade first

I would start with the rear upgrade first and then see how that works out. Then look at what you want to do at the front end. I really do not know anything about that company for rear air suspension, but it sounds like a pretty good price. I have Ohlins on the back and stock set up in the front and that works for me. Good luck in which ever direction you go.

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
Looking at upgrading the suspension on my 13 fltrx. No way I can do front and rear at the same time so my question is which would you guys upgrade first, front or rear? BTW, I'm looking at doing the progressive monotubes up front and maybe a arnott air ride in the back... I found a company that have Arnott Air ride suspension kits clearanced for 371.00.
Do the rear first and just change oil weight in the front until you get the Mono tubes.

Reactions: gja

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At the moment I'm not dead set in air ride. I'm also looking at progressive suspension and also looked at some harley premium ride take offs.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do the rear first and just change oil weight in the front until you get the Mono tubes.
Is it normal for the front suspension to make a clunk sound when you hold the front brakes (setting still) and push/pull on the front suspension? I just noticed mine doing that the other day and kinda worries me. They still seem to work fine just have that clunking sound. The oil was changed around 10k ago when the black front end was installed

·
Administrator
12,504 Posts
I did the front first, went with mono tubes on my 10, got rid of nose dive and handled better instantly.

Reactions: cookie114

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
Is it normal for the front suspension to make a clunk sound when you hold the front brakes (setting still) and push/pull on the front suspension? I just noticed mine doing that the other day and kinda worries me. They still seem to work fine just have that clunking sound. The oil was changed around 10k ago when the black front end was installed
If your bottoming it out. Could just be the spring releasing.
Did you change the weight of the oil ?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If your bottoming it out. Could just be the spring releasing.
Did you change the weight of the oil ?
Not sure what the shop put in it as far as weight goes

·
Registered
319 Posts
clunking

Cookie
I was hearing the clunking noise in the front forks on my 2013 with 87k. Holding the front brake and pushing and pulling on handlebars or when you hit some small potholes at a slow speed. Took it to the dealer cause I have the ESP. They told me it was a bushing was worn in the forks. And its covered.. I wanted it looked at before my riding season starts. Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
319 Posts
clunking

Cookie
I was hearing the clunking noise in the front forks on my 2013 with 87k. Holding the front brake and pushing and pulling on handlebars or when you hit some small potholes at a slow speed. Took it to the dealer cause I have the ESP. They told me it was a bushing was worn in the forks. And its covered.. I changed my fork oil at 50k as per their service schedule. I used screaming eagle fork oil. I wanted it looked at before my riding season starts. Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
..........and just change oil weight in the front until you get the Mono tubes.
Gary, do you have a specific recommendation for weight, type and brand? This is something I've been considering on my 2015 RG. I've already done the rear, just trying to decide on front.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Gary, do you have a specific recommendation for weight, type and brand? This is something I've been considering on my 2015 RG. I've already done the rear, just trying to decide on front.
not Gary.

Still, on my 2000 Deuce with nose dive problems, I changed to Screaming Eagle fork oil. Much better.
On my 2008 FLTR, I got the mono tubes right away. Big improvement where most needed. Then as finances allowed I bought JRI for the rear. Fabulous setup.

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
It depends on what your trying to achieve. Like Duck said, SE is a good choice if your looking to go a little stiffer.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hey cookie114,

I actually just did the rear air DIY, very easy to do, so the arnott system for 371 is a good deal, my total cost was about 250.00 and I bought everything from Autozone and Amazon. I actually have progressive shocks I just took off, they have about 10-15,000 miles on them if you are interested I will get you pics just let me know, these were on the bike when I bought it, still in great shape!

Just wanted the cool guy factor and adjust on the fly.

Answer for front or rear, definitely go for the rear first, if you do air ride then you can do air ride in front later on!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts