Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a aggravating brake pulse in the front wheel brake. Suspected a warped rotor but when I checked it with a indicator it shows a max of .007" run-out. I was thinking of ordering a new rotor but I would not think that .007" would be enough to be an issue. Any thoughts?
BTW: I'm running a single front rotor with stock 4 piston caliper on an 06.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Just a guess here. Single non floating rotor would be a little more aggressive in the pulsing than with two rotors.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I'm weighing the option of upgrading to 13" floating rotor with 6 piston Hawg Halters. A lot of money but that would most likely be the long term solution.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
It doesn't take much run out for you to get a pulsation in the brakes. The best way to fix it is to just get a new rotor, the rotors can be turned but it is not really worth the time or money.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
If your going to run a single rotor you need to upgrade to a larger diameter disc and caliper or go back to the duals. A RG is too much bike for a single stock sized disc up front. Even if you replace it, one hard stop with it hot is going to warp it again.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
I believe the spec on replacement from HD is .008. I had one at .007, and the other at .003, it pulsed in a big way. I bitched till they switched them out. Running a single rotor set up I would thnk your getting a big pulse. Personally I would pull the trigger on a new roter, and change it out.

Rowdy

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the input. I'm probably going to get a new rotor this week.
Z

·
Registered
593 Posts
Make it a floater. Can't go wrong, even a little warp will pulse without a floater.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Rotor replacement

My 2011 RGU has been pulsing for awhile 14,300 miles today.HD dealer said brakes are not covered under warrenty.I went to the sales manager later a complained about the service advisors comment.Mechanic rode my bike in the parking lot and agreed with me on warped rotors.They were changed this morning.Bike is braking smooth now.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, you guys are going to think that I'm a real McGiver, very cheap, crazy, Or all three.

I removed the caliper so I could get an accurate reading with the indicator. I found the warp to be in one spot. I slightly loosened the corresponding rotor bolt and the warp suddenly drop to .002" runout from .007". Made a small .002" shim, slid it between the hub and rotor at that bolt, tightened everything up and checked it again; .002" runout.

Went on a test ride, no pulsation!

Yea!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That how real mechanics used to fix things, now it's replace parts until the problem goes away.
Since I am a tool & die maker/industrial mechanic, I think I'll take that as a compliment!:D

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Unfortunately the pulsation returned. Finally got tired of screwing with it and called RC Components. Got to say they did me right. The rotor was three years old. They stood behind it by hooking me up with a 13" floater with a $150 discount. Got it today, looks awesome! Ordered a 6 piston Jaybrake caliper, should see it next week. Things are looking up.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have an 09 RG and the left rotor was .004 out and the right was .006 and it would pulse bad at slow speed stops. I purchased two full floating rotors from the stealer and replaced them my self, HUGE differance. ASS CLOWNS at the dealer said they had to be 8 thousandths out before they could replace them.:D

·
Registered
715 Posts
Glad to see you are solving the problem. Floating one is the way to go.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts