Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, need help. My 2011 RGU rides extremely rough in the front end. Tire is at 36 psi, rear shocks I've tried at 20 - 40 lbs.. and still rough either one up or two up.
Is there an adjustment on the front forks that I've missed or ??
Thanks for the help
Mike

·
Registered
715 Posts
Did you purchase the bike new? If you did, I have never heard anyone comment on a hard ride.

If you purchased used, maybe the previous owner replaced the fluid with a race weight fork oil?

If you figure out what's going on, let us know.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You haven't missed anything...you just haven't installed the Progressive Monotube front end yet.
It is good.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Just like nearly every other sub-system on a Harley, the fix for it is to remove it, throw it in the corner, and replace it with parts that function as they should.

In this case, remove the front forks, unscrew the top caps, pour out everything inside and replace with Progressive mono-tubes. The ride will be MUCH better.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i bought bike brand new... front end seems to bang on the bumps and I've ridden other bikes and they just float over most bumps... Thanks to all for your input on the Progressive mono-tubes.

·
Administrator
12,485 Posts
Another vote for the monotubes, not enough can be said about them, IMO.

·
Registered
614 Posts
+1 for Monotubes. At this time I think they are the best solution available for the front.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds like a fork oil/air problem that's keeping the fork from damping. I'd at least check the oil level and viscosity, and compress as much air out of the tube as possible before spending money on parts, and new oil!

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
i bought bike brand new... front end seems to bang on the bumps and I've ridden other bikes and they just float over most bumps... Thanks to all for your input on the Progressive mono-tubes.
Does it seem as though the forks are bottoming out or it is possible it is loose head bearings you are hearing when going over bumps?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TripleJ
Its definitely not bottoming out, it's just a bang and it comes right thru the handlebars. I don't feel the front moving down at all to absorb the bumps. Very strange for sure. Head bearings were adjusted when I complained about front end wobble, so I know they're tight.
Mike

·
Registered
142 Posts
I just put powder coat forks on. I switched over to the SE heavy duty fork oil. I had a shimmy feeling when I applies the front brakes and a lot of nose dive. Since I went with the heavier fork oil, it is much smoother.

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
Is this something that just recently started happening all of a sudden or has it progressively gotten worse over time and have you done any recent mods or maintenance to the front end?

·
Registered
233 Posts
What you end up doing? I'm at 50,000 miles and I'm noticing this same problem, seams it's worse since i tightened my head bearing, maybe that's why harley leaves them loose to absorb the shock.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts