Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Front and rear suspension changes are now on the to do list for the 19 riding season. I have 1 question for those that have changed their own front suspension. Does the entire front fairing have to come off the bike to remove the fork tubes?

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
Front and rear suspension changes are now on the to do list for the 19 riding season. I have 1 question for those that have changed their own front suspension. Does the entire front fairing have to come off the bike to remove the fork tubes?
No, none of it does.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
No. The front fairing doesn't have to come off to change the front forks. You will have to remove the speedo and tach housing to access some of the fasteners, this is minor compared to removing the whole front fairing.

Wise investment would be the service manual for your year of Road Glide. Details of how to disassemble the front forks and any special tooling required to do so are listed in that service manual. HD special tools can be substituted with a little imagination and ingenuity.

Also, there are many youtube videos out there of folks that have done this same work, find a reputable one to follow and watch how they do it.

Regards,

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies, just what I was hoping would be the case. I want to do the front suspension myself since the 2 estimates I have gotten for the installation alone cost more than Progressives Monotubes and was only a little less than the cost of Legends. I do possess better than average mechanical ability and with the exception of a few specialty tools for the job, have all the tools I would need. In my younger days I was a drag racer (cars) doing all my own mods and complete engine rebuilds. I do have the service manual for my 17.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for your replies, just what I was hoping would be the case. I want to do the front suspension myself since the 2 estimates I have gotten for the installation alone cost more than Progressives Monotubes and was only a little less than the cost of Legends. I do possess better than average mechanical ability and with the exception of a few specialty tools for the job, have all the tools I would need. In my younger days I was a drag racer (cars) doing all my own mods and complete engine rebuilds. I do have the service manual for my 17.
I just did my own swap over to the Legends Axeo and it was as a straight forward job. You’ll need a 12mm hex socket for the bottom of your lowers, then a 3/4” hex socket for the top cap of your upper tubes. When you go to install the completed forks follow your service manual for the fork torque sequence and install measurements. By the way, I’m happy with my new suspension.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Like has been said, taking the forks out of a RG is a helluva lot easier and quicker than on a batwing style bike. Once you remove the speedo/tach cluster, you can get to the 3 bolts (per side) that will release the forks. You'll need a 1/4" allen for the pinch bolts, a 15/16" socket for the axle nut, a 6mm allen for the axle pinch bolt, a 12 point 10mm for the brake caliper bolts, a 1/4" allen for the 4 fender bolts, a T25 for the 2 screws on the speedo/tach housing, a 12mm long allen for thge damper bolts on the bottom of the fork legs and a 19mm allen for the fork cap.

Reactions: Mike U

·
Registered
58 Posts
Is there a big difference between the 41 MM (pre 2017) and the newer 49 MM tubes?

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Is there a big difference between the 41 MM (pre 2017) and the newer 49 MM tubes?
I can't tell what mm sizes the tubes are. I can tell you this, on my 12 RGC I put 13" super shox in the rear and progresive monotubes standard height in the front and they made a big difference.

On my 17 & 18 RGS the front suspension is as good if not a little better than my 12 was stock. I put the same super shocks on the rear of my 17 and that bike rode excellent. I will be putting the same super shocks on my 18' shortly and don't forsee any reason to change the front.

I don't think it matters what brand of shocks you put in the rear and there are many good brands listed in this forum. They will all be better than the stock rear and drastically improve your front.

Good luck!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I must replace my seals this year, they been leaking a long time now. If anyone has any used monotubes let me know.

·
Registered
102 Posts
So the front forks aren’t hard to change if you use the cartridge style system?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts