Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I removed the front turn signals for powder coating, I obviously removed the internal components of the turn signals, great help on this site to get them apart BTW.

However in my haste/strength I pulled the ground pin off the wire (its crimped on), I figured, no problem I'll just head over to my local dealer and grab a couple of pins. Seems they dont sell just the pins, you have to buy the whole wire etc as a kit and its 50$.

Ok no problem I'll search online for them.. Uh no luck so far. So I'm asking here if anyone's pulled the same dumb move as me and how did you fix it?

Thanks

D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I hate to say it, but it might be easier to buy what they are saying you need to buy. On the other hand, me personally, I would look for a manufacturer name and part # on the connector, socket or housing and go from there. I do this shit at work almost weekly when it comes to locating pins, terminals, locks and connectors that are needed in my line of work. I never looked at a Harley electrical service manual, but maybe they break it down in there. Kinda doubt it though. If you do find the terminal, you are going to need the appropriate crimpers also unless you know someone that can help you out with that. I snooped a little bit online and found nothing. Let me know if you can get some numbers off the connector and such. Good luck, I'll keep an eye out!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I hear ya, I have looked at the connectors, all that is marked on it is 8ED

I've searched for that online .................. some interesting things are named 8ED but not a connector from what I can find ...... LOL

Thanks for your help.

D

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I can't tell from the pic how mangled the terminal is, but you may be able to reuse it if you can reconstruct it some and unfold the crimps. Try ebay too for a good used one on the cheap possibly.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Seems they dont sell just the pins, you have to buy the whole wire etc as a kit and its 50$.
Man, have you actually looked it up for yourself, or just letting the dealership quote you that price? I don't see a turn signal harness kit for $50, but I do see turn signal assemblies for $52.49 each, and you don't need all that.

The wire (Number 12 on the chart and part #79210-11) goes directly into the turn signal housing, and it's .99. Maybe I'm missing something, but that's what it looks like to me.

Ronnie's Harley-Davidson's 2016 Harley Davidson FLTRXS ROAD GLIDE SPECIAL (KTM) | WINDSHIELDW/ FAIRING AND HEADLIGHT ASSEMBLY Parts List

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BlazingSaddle ...........

Wow thanks! I've never seen the parts manual online before. Thats awesome. #12 looks like the plug, but I will investigate further

Thanks again.

D

·
Registered
927 Posts
BlazingSaddle ...........

Wow thanks! I've never seen the parts manual online before. Thats awesome. #12 looks like the plug, but I will investigate further

Thanks again.

D
And I thank you for the heads up on how not to do it! ha!

There are actually 3 numbers on the diagram, 5, 11, & 12. Since 11 isn't listed in the parts numbers, it doesn't apply to your bike. That diagram is used for all RoadGlide models. I selected an RGS, so since #11 on the chart isn't listed under the part number chart, then it doesn't apply to your model bike. That leaves #5, which is a seal pin, whatever the hell that is, and #12 which states 20-22 AWG. The AWG tells me it's a gauge of wire, so just figured it's the wire itself. You might or might not need the plug on the end, (not sure whether you can re-use the one you already have) but even if you splurged $4.50 for both, you're still $45 ahead of what you were quoted. I did see it cheaper from another dealer (Newcastle?), but for a buck or two, not worth sweating it out. You could always give Jon at Horny Toad a call. He'll steer you right. Tell him you're a member of RoadGlide forum.

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
You can find those pins at a good electronic supply store and the crimping tool is around $20 to $30. Try Jameco electronics for a online source.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And I thank you for the heads up on how not to do it! ha!

There are actually 3 numbers on the diagram, 5, 11, & 12. Since 11 isn't listed in the parts numbers, it doesn't apply to your bike. That diagram is used for all RoadGlide models. I selected an RGS, so since #11 on the chart isn't listed under the part number chart, then it doesn't apply to your model bike. That leaves #5, which is a seal pin, whatever the hell that is, and #12 which states 20-22 AWG. The AWG tells me it's a gauge of wire, so just figured it's the wire itself. You might or might not need the plug on the end, (not sure whether you can re-use the one you already have) but even if you splurged $4.50 for both, you're still $45 ahead of what you were quoted. I did see it cheaper from another dealer (Newcastle?), but for a buck or two, not worth sweating it out. You could always give Jon at Horny Toad a call. He'll steer you right. Tell him you're a member of RoadGlide forum.
Thanks, I may just give them a call if I can't find the connectors online.

D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts