Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am well into changing the fuel fliter on a 2011 RGU but I cannot figure out to disconnect the electrical connection from the top plate. The manual doesn't really go into more detail other than to disconnect it. I watched one video but can't seem to find whatever tab needs to be pushed/ pulled or whatever. I know once I see it disconnected it will be a "Doooh!" moment. Anyone have any tips they can throw my way from experience.

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
Cant really help , never had to go in there on the glide. Why are you changing it? I don't think its on a maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
Hmm. Never changed one before on a schedule. Thanks for the schooling. :)

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
After reading I started wondering about the frequency of fuel filter replacement. Got my maintenance manual out and cross checked against my owners manual, both say 100,000 miles. Now mine is a '12 so maybe they changed things around.

I'd agree with what you said about the disconnect, the manual didn't show any trick or special release.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never did get the electrical lead disconnected but still managed to get the filter changed out (must have done it right becasue she fired right up afterwards without a single hiccup) Glad I changed the filter because it was pretty nasty - left a lot of dirt behind when I rolled it onto a paper towel. And I rarely ever pull into small out of the way gas stations. I guarantee I'll be changing the filter out again at the next 25k service.

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
Was there any hang ups besides the electrical connection? Now I hear you saying how dirty yours was I will be changing mine at 25 K.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
While it would have been easier disconnecting the leads and fuel line and pulling out the whole apparatus. Just be carefule not to drop anything into the fuel tank. The retaining clip will slide out under it's own weight once you get it past the retention lip so watch for that. Had to patiently work the shell back together with the new filter in place but once there it was a piece of cake. I'd keep looking for the tips on disconnecting the electrical leads for the next filter change.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
If I remember right just squeeze the sides of the plug and pull.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Did mine on the 06 rk squeeze the sides they also tell you to replace the gasket and screws but the rk shop Manuel said 50000 on the rk

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
After reading I started wondering about the frequency of fuel filter replacement. Got my maintenance manual out and cross checked against my owners manual, both say 100,000 miles. Now mine is a '12 so maybe they changed things around.

I'd agree with what you said about the disconnect, the manual didn't show any trick or special release.
i wonder why the change from 25,000 to 100,000 miles? i did a quick search and all the parts are the same from 2010 to 2012.....

makes me feel a little better about blowing off the filter change at the 25k interval :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts