Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Road Glide Special
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2017 Road Glide Special 107 that I purchased 2/2021 with 10K on it I have always used 93 non ethenol fuel from the same source with the exception of trips. I pulled the fuel filter out (24K) and it was not only black but I could barely blow through it. Bike ran good and replaced filter as routine maintenance.

Posting as an FYI. Something easy to overlook and an easy DIY job.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
2017 40,000 had never changed filter run what ever gas is in the pump when I pull in.
Same with others as many as 75,000 miles.

Reactions: Vinnie and Caveman

·
Premium Member
2017 Road Glide Special
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Smitty thanks for the reply. Like I said, was having no issues just doing some down time stuff. I wonder if there is a bypass to that filter. The flow through the old one was almost zero.
Almost never run lower than half a tank either. Will do again in a couple of years, That's what winters are made for!

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
Hey Smitty thanks for the reply. Like I said, was having no issues just doing some down time stuff. I wonder if there is a bypass to that filter. The flow through the old one was almost zero.
Almost never run lower than half a tank either. Will do again in a couple of years, That's what winters are made for!
20,000 on the RGL limit now. Not even going to look at it for awhile.

·
Registered
697 Posts
On my ‘16 RGU the fuel filter has to be changed at 100.000 miles, My ‘09 Dyna instead is due at 25000.
I have to say that my Dyna filter has always looked clean, even after being cut in two for further inspection, so I guess that 100.000 miles is a good to go unless problems are developed.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Have a 2017 Road Glide Special 107 that I purchased 2/2021 with 10K on it I have always used 93 non ethenol fuel from the same source with the exception of trips. I pulled the fuel filter out (24K) and it was not only black but I could barely blow through it. Bike ran good and replaced filter as routine maintenance.

Posting as an FYI. Something easy to overlook and an easy DIY job.
maintenance schedule states it should be done at 100K. Obviously the filter could be changed before if a fuel pump or other issue were to arise. I have a 2017 I purchased in 2017 with nearly 50K and never had an issue with the filter.

·
Administrator
13,709 Posts
Did mine not long ago at 81500 ish , seen many worse with fewer miles .. Inside wasn't bad .. Matter of fact it was clean material , had no issues prior and really cant tell a difference with the new filter ..

JtB

·
The Greatest Moderator on The Internet
12,948 Posts
Changing the fuel filter is not that hard and is cheap insurance maintenance-wise.
As long as You can find an OEM Filter, that is.
I have read horror stories on aftermarket ones disintegrating and wreaking havoc on the fuel system.
I recently changed mine, just because.
But that's just MY opinion.
Mike U.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts