Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellas, a quick question for you guys, how often do you guys change your fuel filter on you scoots, Serv ice manual said to change every 25k, on this filter I have about 5k left, I know I will do over that this season, I could do it now or wait till the end of 2019, doesn't really matter , but was wondering how often other members changed filters, 25k doesn't seem like alot of miles in the automotive biz so I was just curious.

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
Hello fellas, a quick question for you guys, how often do you guys change your fuel filter on you scoots, Serv ice manual said to change every 25k, on this filter I have about 5k left, I know I will do over that this season, I could do it now or wait till the end of 2019, doesn't really matter , but was wondering how often other members changed filters, 25k doesn't seem like alot of miles in the automotive biz so I was just curious.
I'm not sure what year your bike is but on the M8 models it doesn't need to be changed until 100K

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
I'm not sure what year your bike is but on the M8 models it doesn't need to be changed until 100K
2016 is the same per the service manual

Reactions: geo8866

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
I change mine at about 30k, it may go 100k but it is so dirty by thirty, I figured it definitely won’t hurt.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got 20k on this filter I will definitely do about 10k this season so I will be at 30k, but maybe I will get a bug in me and change it, I did every service the bike was do for , so that's the last thing that hasn't been done. My bike is 2011 by the way.

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
I got 20k on this filter I will definitely do about 10k this season so I will be at 30k, but maybe I will get a bug in me and change it, I did every service the bike was do for , so that's the last thing that hasn't been done. My bike is 2011 by the way.
Yes, I remember my 2011 RGU needing it changed at 25K as per the manual.

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
I went got a filter from my local stealer and install on it now, it definitely was dirty , not alot but 21k on this one what the hell I am doing every possible service item while I wait for spring
I wonder why the moco changed from 25K to 100 k. Are the newer ones any different ?

·
Administrator
10,483 Posts
makes you wonder , fuel filter for 11 and 18 is the same part number . my 11 hasnt been changed and it's got 70 on it ..

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
makes you wonder , fuel filter for 11 and 18 is the same part number . my 11 hasnt been changed and it's got 70 on it ..

I never changed the one on my 2010 and it had almost 75k on it when I sold it. Changed the one on my 12' CVO at 85k and it looked dirty but was not having any flow problems out of it. Changed it just because. My guess is the MoCo may have tested various used filters and found that they still flowed well at 100k as they did at 25k. Maybe the gasoline is cleaner than it used to be. Who knows but I have only heard of one instance where a fuel filter caused an issue, on 2008 & up bikes anyway, and it had over 120k on it. It was just one of those things the guy never thought about changing. It may be like oil, just because it looks dirty doesn't mean it's not working properly.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Gone 75,000 with out changing them on a couple . Never really had to change one on any bike. The 25Kis a preventive thing maybe a good idea for some. We read a lot of post about people claiming to have gotten bad gas.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I never changed the one on my 2010 and it had almost 75k on it when I sold it. Changed the one on my 12' CVO at 85k and it looked dirty but was not having any flow problems out of it. Changed it just because. My guess is the MoCo may have tested various used filters and found that they still flowed well at 100k as they did at 25k. Maybe the gasoline is cleaner than it used to be. Who knows but I have only heard of one instance where a fuel filter caused an issue, on 2008 & up bikes anyway, and it had over 120k on it. It was just one of those things the guy never thought about changing. It may be like oil, just because it looks dirty doesn't mean it's not working properly.
Correct once again my friend , in the automotive field most of the filters now are in the tank with no or long service intervals, I could have gone to 35k with no issue but for $20 clams figured what the hell, cheap insurance I guess, just like a lot of members here I am sure do not do brake flushes, but I do them every 3 years, guess its all how meticulous you are with you scoots. the filter is nothing fancy, biggest part is getting it out a little tricky but not bad.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Correct once again my friend , in the automotive field most of the filters now are in the tank with no or long service intervals, I could have gone to 35k with no issue but for $20 clams figured what the hell, cheap insurance I guess, just like a lot of members here I am sure do not do brake flushes, but I do them every 3 years, guess its all how meticulous you are with you scoots. the filter is nothing fancy, biggest part is getting it out a little tricky but not bad.

You're absolutely right. I certainly won't criticize anyone that wants to take any preemptive care to their scoots. It is a decent cost to have the dealer change it out or even an Indy but if someone has the know how and feels comfortable doing it themselves it's not that expensive to do on your own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yup, for me it's not different than a day at work, so for what it costs, well worth it, especially now when the weather here pretty much sucks gives me things to do , so during the season I don't have to do any except and oil change.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You also need to consider the "standard" of fuel in your area.
Kwik Trip gas station in my area had fuel/water issues in the area, and recently a fuel supplier had a load of gas and diesel get mixed, yes they "corrected" the issue with fuel stations but these issues can add to increased service intervals even if you never got the tainted fuel.

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
Funny I happened to be reading this thread again today, I’m going to change the filters again, over 25k more miles on both bikes since my last post.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
It's not a difficult job anymore. Much easier on the Touring bikes than my Softail.

Did the one on my '10 FLHTK at about 25-30,000 miles. It was dirty, but that doesn't mean much. As a matter of course, I may do it next winter.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I went 120,000 on my 2008 RK. Forgot all about changing it. The filter pretty much fell apart when it came out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts