Road Glide banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 FLTRi with 72k+/-
Fuel gauge was always "sluggish" at first crank. Now the gauge reads FULL when I fill the tank, but after 50 miles, it reads empty, and after 60 miles the "low fuel light" comes on.
Lately.... depending in how I ride... the fuel gauge seems to work again, when there's about 1.5 gallons left in the tank

Any "easy fixes"? or must look ats, to check? Section 9.4 of my service maual has a good view of the REMOVAL, and REPLACEMENT of the unit.... but no "trouble shooting" check point.
Yeah.. I can start replacing parts left and right..... but that ain't fixing the problem, and can become expensive, it the problem, is NOT in what I replace

I re-set the trip each time I fuel up (it's worked for me for 40 years), and I'm fairly anal about fueling the bike, so running out isn't likely to happen

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
I re-set the trip each time I fuel up (it's worked for me for 40 years), and I'm fairly anal about fueling the bike, so running out isn't likely to happen
this is what i was going to suggest. since you already do that, then if it were me, i would just ignore the gas gauge....

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
You could take the gauge to some one that calibrates/works on them and have them check it. More than likely it's the sending unit in the tank. I would be ok for a while using the trip meter but having a gauge that doesn't work would aggravate the $&/? out of me and I would have to fix it.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
I may be a bad ground so check and clean the ground connections. It is most likely the sending unit and with 72K on the bike it would not be a bad idea to service the sending unit and you can take the opportunity to change the fuel filter and the internal fuel lines. The internal fuel lines have a history of developing pin holes or cracks which will cause running issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts